Chapter Ten

Genesis's body ached from not moving. She couldn't sleep, and she couldn't tell whether it was night or day.
The light in the lab flicked on and figures began to move around. Genesis sighed, knowing what was coming. She was back to her 'normal' routine. Her 'normal' life. Genesis thought back to Viowood. To Talyse and Ryo. Were they missing her as much as she missed them. Or maybe they moved on.
Moved on. The thought echoed in her mind. What if Ryo did move on. She thought about the possibility that she was never going to get out of here. That maybe, perhaps, her fate was sealed.
The metallic door slid open and Dr. Emer casually strolled in to her room.
"Good morning Genevieve." Someone followed after him pushing a cart full of tubes, bottles ,and syringes. A chill ran down Genesis's spine. "I am glad that we get to pick up right where we left off on your procedures." Dr. Emer picked up a large syringe with inky black liquid. Genesis shuddered and felt like she was going to throw up.
"You don't have to do this. You know." Genesis cried.
"I only take commands from your father Miss Abbott. He does pay my paycheck after all." She felt the needle of the syringe slip into the skin on her wrist. A sharp pain managed to writhe its way up her arms. Her brain pounded against her skull. She screamed, and screamed hoping that someone would save her. That all the way from hear Ryo would come after her. Take her away.
She heard a high pitched screech before blacking out.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Genesis woke up. She was in her bed. The pristine white covers tucked around her.
"Is everything ok, darling?" Her mother pushed the door open a tad. She walked into the room and sat on the edge of Genesis's bed. "Another bad dream?" Genesis nodded unable to find words.
Her mother's dark brown hair was pulled into a neat braid. She smiled and the curl of her lips created dimples.
"Would you like to hear some good news to keep your mind off your dream?" Genesis nodded again.
"Your father signed the deal on that old hospital." Her mother cupped Genesis head in her hand and rubbed her thumb against her cheek. "He's going to fix it up. Make it nice. He's working on renaming it right now. The "Abbott Care Hospital". Everything's going to be better now mija." Her mother pushed back a hair from Genesis's face and sighed. She gave a quick smile before getting up from the bed.
"Good night. Sweet dreams." She closed the door behind her, leaving Genesis in darkness.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Genesis's cheeks were stained with tears. Her hands hurt, and large cuts and gashes were spread across her palms.
"Miss Abbott. I need you to try again." Genesis stared at the being across from her. It was chained to the wall it's black skin like oil. Her hands shook violently. She held out her left hand once again.
The creature pulled at the chains against the wall.
"Now Genevieve." The voice over the speaker echoed through the room. "I need you to kill it. You can do it." The creature looked at her. In some ways it looked sad. Pathetic. Reapers instilled fear. Yet this one was in fear. Of her. Maybe she wasn't any more a monster than it.
"I'm sorry." She hoped her apology reached its mind. She squeezed her eyes shut and concentrated. She felt hot tears gather in her eyes.
"If anything, this is mercy." She thought. She could hear the creature struggling. The clink of chains. The scream that erupted from the creature. The poor miserable creature. The poor miserable-.
There was a loud thunk as the body fell to the floor. Genesis slumped to her knees and gasped for breath. Her throat felt dry and sore.
"Very good Miss Abbott. Very good." The voice boomed. "Now. Let's try that again."