Chapter Eleven

"Ryo?" A familiar voice echoed around him.
"Ryo?!" Ryo twisted searching for the source. The world around him was dark, and he couldn't seem to speak.
"Ryo!" The voice started to scream. It echoed off blank walls and surrounded him.
"RYO!!" The voice started sobbing hysterically followed by more high pitched screams.
Ryo bolted straight up. Sweat covered every inch of his body. He ran a hand through his black hair and sighed.
It was just a dream. It wasn't real.
Ryo looked over at Ira sleeping soundly in her cot. With Genesis gone her mind must feel more at ease, but Ryo's didn't.
He grabbed the communicator from underneath his pillow and snuck outside.
He raced to Talyse's shop and was thankful when the light from inside spilled onto the moonlit dirt.
"Talyse? Are you awake?"
"As always." Talyse breathed out a long sigh and turned away from the counter.
Arch stretched and yawned before greeting Ryo.
"Ryo." Talyse whispered. "What are we gonna do?"
"What do you mean?"
"Unless of course you don't want to save her. I mean she's from the city. Everyone that's left hates her."
"That's not true!" Ryo snapped.
"Then what's the plan Ryo?! It's been almost a month now!" Talyse retorted.
"I..I don't know. I've been trying to think of something but-.."
"But what? Ira gets in the way? You don't want to? Your realize what they're doing to her right?! It's another form of torture! And you are sitting by and idly letting it happen!"
"And what have you done?! You realize you could help too!" Ryo snapped. Talyse sighed and leaned against the counter.
"I'm not stepping foot in another city. Not now. Not ever."
"So you weren't even planning on helping me find Genesis?" Ryo questioned.
"No. I'll lend you the supplies and help make some tools, but I won't be coming with."
"Do you even care about saving her?"
"Of course I do-"
"Then why don't you come? Two minds are better than one."
"I can't. I won't."
"If anyone should be afraid of the cities it's me."
"But you have the love of your life on the line." Talyse sighed.
"She's not-" Ryo became flustered his face turning red, "besides she's your friend."
"Then she'd understand. If you keep this up Ryo, I won't help you at all." Ryo opened his mouth to retort but decided to be quiet. "I just want you and her to return safely. That's all I've ever wanted, for everyone to be safe."
Ryo nodded and bit back his words. He pulled the communicator out of his pants pocket and leaned next to Talyse.
"This is what I have so far." He handed the device to Talyse and she studied it.
"This could work."