8. Justine

Error alert!

***

Isn’t Ally cute?

I ask myself as I watch her walk with her bestfriend Helen. She is currently adjusting the green and red clips on her hair and is talking about something. I cannot quiet tell what it is they are talking about since she is keeping her voice low. She is always like that, but they can also be so loud as if they are the only people in the corridor.

She is so different form all of the girls in the school who pay too much attention on how they look. They have mirror on one hand and brush or powder on the other, and most of the time, I see them re-touching their faces. But Ally is just simple, yet pretty. Oh, I am calling a girl pretty now? Sure, my attention is easily taken by girls wearing sexy stuffs, but I appreciate more girls like Ally. She just doesn’t care how she looks at all. She even wears hoodie over her tee, a pair of skinny jeans, and hi-top Converse shoes. She looks cute to me.

Actually, I have been noticing her since last year. I tried to get her attention, but she wouldn’t just talk to me, let alone looked at me. She just ignored me like she did not see me until that little incident in her locker. I am sorry for her about it, but also glad that it happened. At last, we talked! I found a way to get her attention! I was even grateful that he kept my hanky.

She’s a tough girl, yes, she is. I said to myself when she did not panicked upon seeing that blood on her nose. It made me worried, but she said it was just okay. I could have sent her to the clinic, but my teacher in Lit threatened to flunk me and have me repeat that subject next year. I couldn’t just let it happen! For the love of god!

“So, what if you’ll see Justine this morning, what will you say to him?” I hear Helen ask Ally. She must have said it louder because she sees me behind the pillar. She winks at me and elbowed her bestfriend who is still busy with her hair.

“What?” Ally absentmindedly asked. She is still adjusting those hair clips. “Check my hair first.”

“There.” Helen says after straightening the red clip on her black hair. “So, do I have to repeat my question?”

“No. Umm, why should I say something to him?”

“I am just asking. What if we see him this morning?” Helen holds both of her shoulder to keep her from turning and see me.

“Nothing? Or maybe just a ‘hi’? Yeah, that’s what I’ll say to him. Hi.”

I move closer to them and stand right behind Ally. I do not know what pushes me to do this, but maybe my ego is just a bit affected by what she said. Doesn’t she feel something for me? Does she have or have no crush on me? That is my ego talking.

“Just that? No more?”

“Yeah. I guess.” Ally answers and brushes away Helen’s hands from her. “Why are you weird this morning? You suddenly asks about him which you do not do usually?” She takes a step back and steps on my shoe.

She smells so sweet! It must be her shampoo, or her cologne? Her scent and her warmth radiating through her jacket give me a different feeling. It awakens my manly desires. I want to hug her instantly.

“Aw! My foot! It hurts!” I exaggeratedly say. Ally looks up at me with a shock expression on her face. Her pupils are brown like chocolate, one of my favorites, and her lips are partially parted. I want to taste those red lips so badly. This girl is driving me crazy.

“Oh my god! I am so sorry! I did not see you standing there Jus!” Ally exclaims, holding both of her cheeks as she stares at the foot she just stepped upon. “Oh my! How bad is the pain Jus?” She asks again, looking so apologetic.

Hearing her calling me ‘Jus’ gives me a swelling feeling in my stomach. Pfft. Why am I getting this weird reaction right now?

“It’ll subside. Do not worry about it anymore. It’s far from my intestines.” I said, smiling at her awkwardly. I stop myself from scratching my nape, the ultimate sign of feeling so awkward, but I fail. I intend to stand behind him so that this, whatever is happening right now, will happen, but my conscience takes over.

She looks so sorry for me.

“I have to go. Bye Ally, Helen?” I wave at them and is greeted by a puzzled look from both of them. I scratch the back of my head as I walk away. Boy, you sure are weird. I shake my head and smile to myself.

***

‘Sorry. I stepped on your foot this morning.’

A message on my phone’s display says. I smile thinking about Ally’s face.

‘What are you talking about?’

I reply, widening the smile. Joshua, my best buddy, claps my shoulder. He sits beside me and is also collecting the papers on his desk. So glad that it is already lunch break. I have been dreading for it to come since I am already hungry.

“What causes that big smile? Why is my friend looking so happy since this morning?”

“It is because Ally messaged me through Virtual Boyfriend App, apologizing for that little mishap we had this morning.” I answer shaking my head while reading her reply.

‘Hmm. I stepped on real Justine’s foot!’

“What happened this morning? You did not tell me about it. I have been asking you since Lit.”

“Just ask your girlfriend. She was there.” I answer, talking about Helen. Both of them were textmates since last month, but he is not telling me if they are together now. Maybe not yet, because he will surely tell me if they are.

My thumbs hover over the screen of my phone as I construct a reply for Ally. I have been doing a series of silly things to her. I hope that if ever she’ll discover that I caused all of it, she will not be so angry at me. I hope she will forgive me. She must really believed that the VBF App is a legit phone app and that she is receiving automated replies from the internet or her service provider.

He’ll be fine. Do not worry about him. Are you having your lunch now?’

‘Yes.’

Reading her reply, I already know where to go. I pull Joshua with me to the cafeteria.