iii

deciding that the living room was a better place to stay at, wonpil sat on the couch, carrying the small bottle with him.

after a while of simply looking at it, he wrapped his fingers around its cap and removed it. he held the opening of the bottle to his nose and took a sniff of it. it smelled pleasant. actually, too pleasant. he put the cap back on the bottle with a frown, doubting if it was really a sweetener.

wonpil's attention went from the bottle to the shrill sound of a bell ringing.

"it had to be now," he heard his oldest bandmate, jae, say under his breath as he paused the game that he was playing on the console.

wonpil watched as jae walked out with his ringing phone, leaving the living room with wonpil and his glass of cola.

a blink of an eye later, wonpil was twisting the cap off of the bottle for around the third time that day while carefully inching closer to the glass.

once he was face to face with it, he leaned over, tipping the bottle with caution. when a drop had come out and into the drink, he immediately went back to where he really sat while closing the bottle and putting it in his pocket.

minutes later, jae walked back in the living room with brian, talking to each other in english.

"finders keepers, man," jae told brian with a grin, causing the latter to playfully pout.

"asshole. at least let me play after you," brian responded.

"yeah, yeah."

"oh! hi, wonpil," brian greeted wonpil before sitting down on the couch with jae.

"hi, hyung," wonpil responded with a wave, words barely coherent as his attention was secretly on jae and his glass of cola.

"i saw the sudden load of torn wrapper in the trash can. was that all yours?" brian asked him, laughing.

"oh, yeah. i opened the presents that everyone gave me."

"what did you get?"

"mostly letters and food. i also got a cute stuffed toy bear and a sweater that was exactly like the pink one—"

wonpil and brian's conversation was cut by jae's coughing fit, which twisted wonpil's face with worry.

"jae hyung," wonpil called. "are you okay?"

"i'm fine," jae answered between coughs, setting the glass back down on the small table. "the cola suddenly became super sweet."

"are you sure?" brian asked jae, looking as if he was about to burst out of laughter. "the way you coughed was like you were about to die. what a grandpa."

"you're only a year younger than me," jae responded, glaring at brian. "and yes, i'm fine. it's not like i was poisoned or anything."

wonpil let out a silent sigh of relief.

maybe it was just a sweetener.