Chapter 7: Imperfect Timing

Nadine prepared herself for the impact, but she stopped. The touch didn't feel like Ali's, it was strong and more powerful, it sent a sensation through her body that made her weak in the knees. James? She opened her eyes, afraid of what or more like who was holding her. "James..." Nadine's legs gave out completely, she clasped unto James, causing him to hold on tighter.

"Oo Nadine." Nadine stood there weak and unsure of what was happening. "Nadine, do you think you can stand?"

"Oh yes." She gathered her balance and pushed off James to stand on her own. Still weak, Nadine tried to gather her thoughts.

"How- But- But like-"

"Nadine?"

"Yes?"

"I'm here because I have something that I need to tell you."

"Tell me, why did you make me come here to tell me something?"

"Because I wanted to make it special."

"Special?" Nadine was confused, what does he need to tell me that would need such "special" stuff. This is so extra... But I am scared. What is it? Nadine didn't realize how deep into her thoughts she was, she felt a tap. What was that? Did something tap me?

"Nadine?"

Now someone is calling me? Who would that be? But still why would James need to do all this to tell me something..

"Nadine?"

They're still calling me? Wait is someone actually calling me? Nadine shook her head, looking in all directions for where the voice came from. Subconsciously she had forgotten that James was right in front of her, she had stressed herself out to the point where she hadn't or couldn't see James.

"Nadine?"

"Huh?" She focus to in front of her. "James..." She whispered, confused. "Wait! James!"

Her eyes opened as wide as they could, her mouth was slightly open from shock.

"Nadine, I need to tell you something."

"Okay. Tell me."

"Tell you... Yes I need to tell you..."

"James, what is it? You're making it sound like it's bad."

"No. Well not bad for you. Maybe bad for me." James began to pace back and forth inside the gazebo.

"James did you do something?" Nadine tried to take a step toward him, but she was stuck. Afraid that he may be leaving for good this time.

"No I didn't do anything. It's just something that is a bit hard for me to say." Nadine's heart began to beat fast after each sentence James would say.

"Come on James... You're scaring me..."

"I know I'm ready to tell you."

"What are you telling me James? Please can you say it. I don't know if I can stay here and wait for you to say something like this." Nadine was flustered, she couldn't imagine what James needed to say right now. But she knew that if he didn't say it quick, she'd need to leave before she started to cry.

"James..." Nadine tried to get James' attention. "James can you look at me." James slightly lifted his head.
"Nadine, look..." James began, he grabbed for Nadine hand. "We've been friends almost our whole lives, right? And I have known this for a few years now. And I am really hoping that you're ready to hear it as much as I'm ready to say it."

"Well you need to say it first before I can know if I'm ready."

"I know... I'm getting there." James lifted Nadine's hands to his mouth and kiss her fingers. Nadine jumped back. Pulling her hands with her.

"James?"

"Nadine please let me do this." He reached out for Nadine's hands again. Hesitant to give them back and unsure of what he was doing, she placed her hands slowly onto his, his hands enveloping hers, she gave her trust to him.

"James not too hard." Only slightly loosening his grip, James looked Nadine straight in the eyes.

What is going on? Why is he holding my hands and kissing them like this? This isn't how we normally do this. And we certainly don't have conversations like this while holding hands. I'm scared. I feel like he is about to come out to me. Like GAY? Could the guy that I have these undeniable feelings for, who might I add am technically not suppose to have feelings for ACTUALLY COMING OUT TO ME? WHAT IN THE WORLD? I'm going to cut Ali, if James tells me that they are in love after this. Okay now or never Nadine. Before he says anything else. 

"Nadine, I...." Nadine refocused her attention when she heard James' voice. "I know I do. And I really hope that you are okay with this and that you are ready to hear it." Nadine listened carefully, she didn't want to miss the moment when the boy she loved was telling her that he was gay and dating her other gay best friend.

"Nadine, what I'm trying to say is that... Well..."

.

.

.

Then out of nowhere, "JAMES! I LOVE YOU."