Chapter 3

I stared at the Marceus guy for a few minutes, maybe subconsciously. I was still startled finding out about another human looking guest. Does this mean there are still a few more in Nowhere? I want to meet them all. Maybe I'm not the weirdest after all.

It had been a while when I realized that Marceus was staring back at me. I recovered from the trance then I looked away, facing our mentor again. I acted as if I was listening to Mr. Bensworth. That was an awkward and embarrassing experience. That will haunt me for a while.

-

It was lunch time. As expected, I am eating alone. Meedle had prepared another batch of purple bacon for me. But I was wise enough to bring extra money so I can buy some fruit in the canteen. I bought my favourite fruit- the orange. I really like oranges. If only I was as rich as Froilan who brought 2 mangoes, 2 bananas and an orange- I would never eat any more purple bacon.

I was peeling the orange when I heard a screeching noise in front of me; I guess it's from a chair. Maybe somebody needed an extra chair for a friend and then took the empty chair in front of me. I bowed down. There's something else besides my feet below the table- another pair of feet. I looked up and saw Marceus' blue eyes looking straight into mine while sipping something that smelled like corn juice. I remembered the embarrassing moment I encountered a while ago then I looked back down again.

"Hey there, um, Frans-layn," he said, mispronouncing my name.

"It's pronounced as Fran-se-lyn" I replied then looked down. I was upset because my wig had no bangs, so I have nothing to cover my face but the orange. I continued on peeling it.

"Well, I'm-"

"Marceus. I've read your nametag," I interrupted. I couldn't see Marceus' reaction from here, fortunately. It would've been more embarrassing.

"Well, you could call me Max." he said.

"What?" I asked, looking up.

"Max. I said call me Max."

I raised my eyebrows, quite confused. "Why? What's wrong with Marceus?"

"Max is a nickname."

I widened my eyes. "Oh, is it like a second name or something?"

"Well, kind of. But it's more of a short name."

"Oh, I've never heard of a nickname before."

A nickname- quite interesting… another name for someone to call you by. We don't really have nicknames, or at least I've never heard of anyone use a nickname before. They would just have this one name. No two guests have the same name, that's why we feel contented with having one name. We find it reliable enough.

I ate the first slice of my orange. I never had this feeling for a long time. The first fruit I've eaten for what, three weeks? I have to enjoy every second of this wonderful feeling. But how could I when there's some dude talking to me? Oh well, at least I don't seem so alone.

"Because only I have a nickname," he said all of a sudden. "Those pure guests don't have nicknames; they just use their long usual names. C'mon…Franceline? I could just call you France."

My ears sparked as I heard the phrase “pure guests.” I looked up and found myself looking directly into his eyes; eyes that are too beautiful that I can't afford to look away.

"What do you mean pure guests?"

"Well, I'm just like you."

I'm confused. "What?"

"A half breed. Half human half guest," he said confidently.

"That was offensive," I muttered.

I ate another slice. Interesting, If there's such thing as a half human-half guest, what are the possibilities of me being one? I hope Meedle isn't hiding anything from me, or maybe I'm just too paranoid. Nah! She won't hide these things from me. She's a nice guardian; a nice, nice guardian.

"I can see some brown hair sticking out of your wig, you know. And those shoes, yeah, I've used that trick as well. I know how an uncomfortable person may look like from wearing big shoes."

I tucked in the brown hair that stood out from the wig.

"What are you trying to say?"

"I know you're some part human. Isn't that why you're staring at me, because you've seen someone like you? I was shocked as well. From where I'm from I'm the only half human guest, I feel out of place at most times."

He feels my pain.

"So yeah," he continues. "Either that or you find me very attractive. I know guests find me very weird and unattractive but for a human, I am quite good looking, am I right?" He said while showing me this witty smile. How arrogant.

"How many times do I have to tell you? I am a pure guest!"

"Seriously? Well, if you are you're one hell’a unlucky girl. You look too ugly to be a guest."

I snorted. "Well, thank you."

"No problem."

I don't know if he sensed my sarcasm. I want him to go away, but I can't just say “Hey, get out of here.”

I looked at him. His dimples showed as he smiled without showing his teeth. He crossed his arms on the table, as if he was waiting for me to say something.

"Why are you here anyway?" I asked with a tone of petulance.

"It's because I thought you were part human. You're the first human looking guest I've seen aside from myself, obviously. I just want to be friends,” he said, then gave me this inviting smile.

Despite his annoyingly playful attitude, the part about him being half human was interesting. I've always wanted to know about humans, but Meedle wouldn't let me. I can't go to the library alone, not until I'm twelve, unless someone else qualified would go with me. I want to know more about the humans. I should be friends with this guy.

"I can be your friend." I said.

"Yay," he said with a little sarcasm.

"But can you tell me about humans…please?" I implored. I'm not really comfortable doing this, but I really want to know more about humans.

He gave me a lazy smile.

"Of course, just not here."

He stood up and smiled. "Nice to meet you, France," he said as he left me alone in my seat, curious and confused.