Chapter 10

"Don't move."

Wait, I know that voice.

I pulled his hand fiercely away from my mouth. I turned around and saw his face, red from silently laughing. "You should've seen yourself!"

"Shut up Max! You scared me to death!" I said as I raged towards him. He effortlessly caught my hands that were about to slap him, and with that I realized how weak I was.

"Calm down," he said with a playful smile. He's not hard to hate, you know.

As soon as I calmed myself, he let go of me slowly. By the way his lips are awkwardly pressed, I could tell that he's trying his best not to smile. My heart was still pumping fast and my guts were still shaking. I finally had the strength to speak normally.

"What are you doing here?" I asked. He raised at eyebrow at me. "That's exactly what I was about to ask you," he responded. I rolled my eyes away from him, crossing my arms. "None of your beeswax."

"Ironically, it is," he said smugly. "I am to take care of you while you are still here. And besides, bad people usually come out at night. People who kidnap, rape and kill. And who knows what these drunk men can do to you? Do you know what they're capable of?"

I bit my lip. To be honest, I don't really know what drunk men are. I didn't bother to ask, cause by the way he said it, they sounded like very bad people.

"Whatever," it was all I could say. I couldn't really think of a better response after what he has said.

"Do you even know the way home?" he asked. I looked around. The streets were unusual to me, the houses were nothing but strangers to my eyes. I admit, I could've been lost.

I looked down and shook my head innocently. I couldn't really see Max's reaction since my back was still turned on him. I could only hear him laugh under his breath.

"Tsh, little sisters," he said as he placed his arm around my shoulder.

"I am not your sister," I scoffed.

He made a face, making himself look really ugly, and then smiled. "Come on," he said, leading me back to the place I shall call home.

-

"Hey Marceus," I called. We couldn't really sleep so decided to hang around the front door steps, adoring the night sky.

Max was still inside, getting himself a glass of water, but I think my voice was loud enough for him to hear it. He closed the door behind us and sat on where he was supposed to sit.

"What?"

"I want to ask you something," I said. I glanced over Max, who was taking a few gulps from the glass. I can't help but gawk at his face which shone under the moonlight, his eyes now bluer than blue.

"Okay, shoot." he said. I shook my head, freeing me from my trance.

"Why now?" I asked. His head turned to my direction, his face conveying confusion.

"Well," I continued. "If you could've gone here a long time ago, why did you go now? You could've gone there alone, without anyone to disturb you, but instead you went here with someone, with me."

A response was not found. Instead, he fixed his eyes on the sky.

"Look," he said, pointing up, "Cassiopeia." Clearly, he was trying to change the subject. I guess he just didn't want to talk about it.

My eyes moved up to where he was pointing. Obviously I had no idea on what he was talking about. My face must've looked terrible if it was compatible of making Max laugh that hard. "Your face," he said with his voice, cracked from laughing. I grumpily yet playfully stuck my tongue out.