e n

The weather had been shitty for the past few days and today wasn't an exception

The weather had been shitty for the past few days and today wasn't an exception. It had snowed over night so the streets of Oslo looked like the usual winter wonderland. Cars were trying to make their way through swaying bike riders and slithering pedestrians.
I zipped my coat up to my chin and tried to make it across the busy road onto the school yard. It still snowed slightly and I could feel it dampening the hair that stuck out of the hood of my pullover. Greit. So I had wasted twenty minutes of showering for nothing. I could have stayed in bed for longer. Twenty minutes were a lot considering the time I regularly slept during a busy school week varied from three to five hours.
I sighed and pulled the hood lower into my face. Stepping through the gates of the oh so lovely Hartvig Nissen School, I scanned the area for a familiar face. Sana, Chris and Noora sat on one of the benches near the bushes that were supposed to bring a little bit more green onto the yard.
Another great parent idea. Planting some lonely bushes on a city school's yard to make teenagers forget they're in the middle of Oslo. If these parents knew that most kids used the bushes to store their alcohol or drugs there which they mostly received from older students for their vors, the bushes would be chopped down faster than anyone could even say "Nissen".
I took a deep breath of the cold winter air. Not a good idea as I realized two seconds later. The cold that had chained me to bed ill this weekend wasn't quite finished with me yet and the biting air in my lungs sent me into another coughing frenzy. I shook my head and made my way towards the little group on the bench.
Noora waved as she saw me heading in their direction and I smiled back at her.

"It's alive." Sana greeted me with the usual smirk she had mastered so perfectly.

"It's alive." I nodded and plopped down next to her. "Barely though."

Chris and Noora sat on the backrest of the bench, their feet on the wood where Sana and I were seated.

Chris blinked upwards to the sky. "Don't worry, you didn't miss anything this weekend." Her eyes fell back onto me. "We couldn't even go to a party since the roads were closed because of the snow."

"Technically they weren't really closed." Noora put a piece of her platinum blonde hair behind her ear. "It was just that none of us are allowed to drive a car, especially not in this weather and we were scared of freezing to death if we walked."

"Oh what a tragedy that would have been." I grinned. "I can already see the headline. Tipsy teenagers found frozen to death on their way to a party. Or no, wait, even better. Tipsy teenagers found frozen to death on their way to a wild student orgy." I giggled into my scarf which again ended in a coughing fit.

"I'd read the article." Sana shrugged amused by me almost suffocating.

"And then your parents would probably never allow you to hang out with us again." Chris snorted and pulled a bottle of water out of her backpack.

"Sana wouldn't even have been able to read the article since she wanted to come with us on Friday." Noora's gaze was fixated on her nails whilst she was picking at the red polish. "So she would have been dead too."