*lisa's pov*

Its been three days since the sanctuary had been invaded. Five days since I lost my brother derrick. On the inside I was dying, On the out side I was emotionless and appeared unfazed by what happened. I had to be strong, not just for myself but for Carter. It was evident he didn't want to talk about it or vocalize anything that he was feeling. But he didn't need to tell me, I could see it. He had shut down, almost as if he didn't care what happened to him. I may have lost my brother, but he had lost a piece of his soul. Sure they fell in love so quickly, but in this world where no one is around to make a connection especially for us so young it can be so easy.

I looked up at carter from the fire we were sitting at. He looked so exhausted, tired, cold, dead inside. the car had run out of gas a day after we got away and we have been hiking ever sense finding shelter in the woods and staying away from towns unless we needed supplies. My feet were killing me and i was starving. right now we were holed up in a cave. It was big enough for us to only have to worry about keeping our guard out for one opening. 

I stood up taking point at the opening of the cave. "I will take first watch, you get some rest." I said to carter. He looked up at me wearily and nodded a tear falling down his cheek. He was thinking of derrick again. I took hold of his shoulder and pulled him into a hug. " look, derrick wouldn't want us dwelling on him he would want us to stay alive as long as we could. he wouldn't want us to give up. I'm here when ever you are ready to talk or if you need a shoulder to cry on but please for the love of god don't give up cause i can't do this alone." i said gripping him with as much strength as i could muster. he pulled away from me and looked me in the eyes and then turned away laying in the far corner of the cave with his back to me.

I sighed sitting and leaning against the opening of the cave. I gripped my chest as pain shot through my heart and deep into my stomach. My vision blurring with tears i had been holding for the last three days. Slowly the tears fell..............

...... " Last one in is a rotten egg!!!" derrick yelled as he jumped from the cliff into the lake.

we were visiting our grandparents who lived right on table rock lake. The lake had awesome cliffs to jump into the water from. 

I watched with a big smile as he attempted to do a front flip dive only to fail doing a horrendous  sounding belly flop. I fell to the ground laughing as he came back up from under the water gasping from his failed flop. 

"soo not funny!!!" he shouted back up to me. " Ya actually it is you  amature!!!" Shouted back to him. he splashed back at me missing me by several feet being my hight of the cliff. " You think you can do better?! How bout you prove it!!!" he shouted back with a cocky grin. 

Backing up a few feet from the cliff, i let a grin escape my lips and then took off running. reaching the cliffs edge i kicked my feet over my head and i felt myself flying. i managed one more flip before landing back in the water in a perfect dive. 

"that is hows its done" i said as i came back out of the water. 

I cleared the water from my eyes and i didn't see him. franticly i looked around and spotted something bobbing in the water. swimming over to it i began to panic. i reached it it was a body. i flipped it and saw it was him and i screamed. pulling him out of the water i could see that his head was bleeding. Looking back at the water i seen that there was a boat driving dangerously close full of drunk teenagers.

"Derrick?! derrick?!" i shouted shaking him.  he didn't respond. i laid him flat on his back and positioned myself for CPR. I locked my hand over my other hand and placed them on his chest and began pumping. after thirty of those i put my mouth to his and blew air into his lungs after the second time he went into a coughing fit.