9

The nerves surging through my veins were making me sick. The thought of playing the piano in front of people, to perform a purpose, since my audition sent shivers down my spine. And yet, I could feel something that I hadn't felt in a long time. Excitement? A sense of worth more-so. A feeling that my way of seeing the world could help others that feel somewhat similar to the way I have been. That isn't why I originally loved playing the piano, but now, I can appreciate why music is seen as therapeutic. Not only for me, but possibly, for the world.

I laid in my bed, dressed in what Mum called smart yet casual clothing as I waited for Kyra to come pick me up. Salem sat obediently by my side, her harness clenched in my fist as a replacement for the old White Cane that I had used previously. Songs from years ago escaped my other hand as my fingers tapped at the imaginary keys that coated my bed sheets. What songs would I play? Do they know the songs that I can play? What about requests? Thoughts rushed around my head at a million miles per hour, their high pitch almost completely clogging the knocking outside my room.

My door opened with a loud creak, and Salem slowly stood up at the presence in the room. She didn't bark, we had tried to teach her that Kyra's face was to be associated with friendliness, rather than hostility.

"You ready?" Kyra's voice was warm, but I could tell she was hesitant as to what my answer was going to be.

"Ready as I'll ever be."

-------

The building, from what I remembered from the roads around the local area, was close to the auditorium and getting closer to the beach. Kyra jumped out of the driver's seat while I opened my door, slowly hopping out so Salem could follow behind me. She was an exceptionally quick learner, and it gave me a feeling of freedom that I had never felt before. I could never thank Kyra enough.

The cracking underneath my 'going out' shoes felt as if we were walking on loose asphalt, Salem guiding me between a maze of cars that were parked in front of us. It was a warm day outside, the sun hitting my face as if trying to provide some form of comfort. Kyra grabbed my free hand, entwining our fingers as we got closer to the Village. Her touch sent tingles to my stomach, and I didn't know why.

"I know how nervous you are, and how you feel like you don't deserve to be here to play in front of these people. But from what Kellum has told me, about the atmosphere and the day to day unchanging routine, any song you play will light up there faces. They will love it. And I promise you, no matter what, you deserve to be here. Ah, Professor Kellum!"

She squeezed my hand tighter before letting go to greet Professor Kellum, who I could only assume was waiting at the entrance for us.

"Kyra, good to see you! And you too Eli! Both of you, this is one of the carers, Ms Lauren. She was waiting with me so I didn't wander off."

We all laughed, except I didn't hear a word out of the care taker. "Lovely to meet you Ms Lauren." Kyra spoke for the both of us.

"And it's lovely to meet you both. Francis has been talking about you both for weeks, and when he told us the other day that someone was coming to perform for us, well everyone has been excited ever since." She spoke with an accent that I couldn't quite put my finger on, but they way she drew out her l's and her s's made her sound very complex, like a business women at a world class company. But, even though her words were warm, her voice sounded cold; a façade.

"I'm honoured to play for the Village. I hope the people here like what I have to offer."

"Oh Eli," Professor Kellum chimed in. "Anything you play for us will make us happier than you can imagine. Now let's go, we've set up a small stage for you and I'm sure everyone can't wait to hear you play."