Chapter Nine xD

Chapter 9:

The light poles illuminated the narrow street formed ripple reflections on the wet pavement. Muddy water from stepping on puddles soaked through his baggy pants. Hikaru was dashed blindly and recklessly through the wet pavement in the deserted dark night. He ran further down the road until he stopped to catch his breath and leaned his arm against a cool bricked wall.

Argh, what's wrong with me? Hikaru breathed heavily as the sweat rolled off his cheek.

Hikaru recalled the smiling face of Haruhi before he departed. Why am I acting so nervous around her all of a sudden? It was never like this before at school!

Hikaru placed his hands on his face, feeling the warmth on his face. This is bad. My face is really warm. I'm getting sick! What should I do? Kaoru! He shouted in his mind.

Trying to relax and clear his mind, Hikaru looked around the area he wandered off to. Where am I? I should be on the same road...I should call the chauffer to pick me up now.

Hikaru reached for the pocket of his pants.

-

Back at Hitachiin Mansion.

When the twin maid successfully left Hikaru to his so-called friend's apartment upon Kaoru's order, they were a bit nervous about receiving a phone call from the older twin to pick him up immediately. But they haven't heard a single call even up to the darkest hour. The twin maids giggled at the thought of the young master wanting to stay over. How daring! However, one of the other Hitachiin maids came up to them holding a blue cell phone in her hand.

"Um, I found this cell phone in the limousine while cleaning up..." The twin maid stared blankly back and realized why the young master didn't call at all.

It's not here? Where? Where is it? I couldn't have left it at Haruhi's house...or could I have…? Hikaru faced turned red immediately remembering tripping over Haruhi and shook his head. "No, that can't be it. It must be during the struggle in the limousine. It must be! Those maids are definitely going to get it!"

A loud roar echoed from the sky. Immediately, rain drops splattered on his shoulder and then splattered quickly over the rest of his head and body. Drenched, Hikaru felt that everything about his world is turning against him. "Of all timing…." He mumbled, feeling incredibly irritated.

However, there was quick flash of light reflecting on to road's surrounding. His eyes widened. Immediately, Hikaru could only think of one thing when it came to thunder, "HARUHI!"

He immediately recalled vividly of that moment in their first date when he ran off and left Haruhi after their encounter with Arai. He recalled running all over Karuizawa completely soaked looking everywhere for her. Something he would have never done for anyone completely took over his subconscious. He remembered very well the face when he found on Haruhi under the table in a church. Tears rolled down her cheeks as fear shook her. She looked fragile. A side that he never would have thought would belong to this girl he believed to be fearless.

Before he was consciously aware of his automatic reaction, Hikaru was already dashing back to the apartment. She was alone again. There was no one there to comfort her. No one was there for Haruhi right now, but him.

Finding his way back to the Fujioka apartment, Hikaru immediately rushed to the stairs and abruptly stopped at the door. A dim light from the house was still on but flickering. She was still home.

"Haruhi! It's me Hikaru. Are you okay?"

No response.

Giving a stern knock, he called out again at the door, "Haruhi, you in there? Open the door! What're you doing in there?"

Again no response. Hikaru's patience was wearing thin. Why wasn't she responding unless...

"HARUHI! HARUHI! OPEN THE DOOR IDIOT!" Banging the door even more forcefully and repeatedly, Hikaru found it harder to breath. His hand was bruised and numb from the banging.

"Ha-ru-hi...why aren't you answering...?" His legs shaken, Hikaru dropped his knees to the floor as his body slouched forward. He stared blankly at the cement hearing the sound of rain and thunder roaring from behind.

Frustrated that there was just a wall separating him from Haruhi, Hikaru felt incredibly helpless.

What should I do, Kaoru...?