Confusion

"Kretcher has returned with the thief Mundungus Fletcher, Master," the house elf croaked. There he was standing feet away, Mundungus Fletcher in the flesh. The gross flesh, really. 

"Expelliarmus!" Hermione said as Mundungus reached for his wand. She caught it, and Mundungus bolted. Ron was quick, and tackled him. 

'What'd I do?" Mundungus shouted, trying to break free of Ron's grip. "I av'nt done a thing! Lemme go!" 

I pulled out my wand and moved towards him as he began shoving Ron off of him. Harry was faster though, and had his wand pointed at his face. 

“Kreacher apologizes for the delay in bringing the thief, Master,” Kretcher wheezed. "But Kretcher has captured Fletcher as Master wished."

Harry thanked him, and turned back to Mundungus. "Now we have a few questions for you."

"I ain't got none of 'em goblets left-"

"This isn't about that," I said, my voice strangely harsher than usual. 

"When you cleaned out this house for valuables," Harry started, and was cut off again by Mundungus. 

"Sirius never cared about any of that junk-"

"How dare you!" I shrieked. My wand went to his neck, and his eyes bulged. 

"I di'n'- I-"

"Stop talking." 

"When you cleaned out this house for valuables," Harry began again. "You took something from the kitchen cupboard. A locket, actually. Where is it?" 

"Why? What's she worth?"

“You’ve still got it!” Hermione cried.

"No he doesn't," I said. "He sold it. Did you get enough money for it, then?"

"Money? I gave 'er away, had no choice did I?"

"What do you mean?"

“I was selling in Diagon Alley, and she come up to me and asks if I’ve got a license for trading in magical artifacts. Bleedin’ snoop. She was gonna fine me, but she took a fancy to the locket an’ told me she’d take it and let me off this time, and to fink meself lucky.”

"Who was it? Who was the woman?" I asked, heart racing.

"Dunno, some ministry hag." 

We all stared at him as he continued after thinking. "Little woman. Wearing pink bows."

He thought again, then added, "Looked like a toad."

I gasped. 

"No," I said, and turned to Hermione. "Oh god, no."

Harry just glared at Mundungus for awhile, until he sighed. 

August passed by quickly, and I was finally able to use magic. When September first came, everyone was quiet. We were supposed to be on the Hogwarts Express. 

Harry walked in with the Daily Prophet, and set it down on the table in front of us. 

SEVERUS SNAPE CONFIRMED AS HOGWARTS HEADMASTER

"What?!" I shouted. Hermione grabbed it and began reading.

“‘Severus Snape, long-standing Potions master at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, was today appointed headmaster in the most important of several staffing changes at the ancient school. Following the resignation of the previous Muggle Studies teacher, Alecto Carrow  will take over the post while her brother, Amycus, fills the position of Defense Against the Dark Arts professor.