Heads Will Roll

Hold Me Down - Halsey
"It's the devil that's trying to hold me down."

  • • •  

  • • •  

As soon as I had closed my eyes and sleep had consumed me, I saw him again. I saw Klaus again. This time it was in the place I was used to seeing him in. He was in my dreams again, where he couldn't hurt me. Too close but at a safe distance. 

It hadn't been a nightmare, this dream had been pretty gentle. Which meant I didn't wake up sweating and with my heart racing but instead I woke up rather calm, remembering nothing more about my dream than flashes of him. And of Mystic Falls High School, but that was probably because today was my first day back at school.

The sun had woken me and its warm rays were now softly stroking my body, in this peaceful moment it was hard to think that the horrors of last night were actually real. Which is why I didn't. I went along with the feeling of obliviousness willingly.

When I got out of bed and walked over to the mirror I was reminded of it though. I looked, well, absolutely horrible. I walked over to the little bathroom that was attached to the guestroom and washed my face with some water. I tried to get the black smudges off of my face and combed my fingers through my long black hair, trying to untangle it. I looked back up at my reflection cautiously to find that I already looked better, so I tried to smile as I told myself I was okay. Or at least I was going to be.

"Florence?" I heard Tyler's voice, followed by a knock.

I jumped and my heart immediately started racing, proving that despite my efforts my body had been on edge ever since I had woken up.

"Just a second!" I yelled, my voice sounding too high and too loud.

I put my black leather jacket back on and opened the door slightly. "Hi," I said softly.

"Hey, can I come in?" he asked.

I couldn't really deny him access to a room in his own house so I nodded and stepped aside. He closed the door behind him and we stood awkwardly staring at each other for a bit. He wasn't the kind of person who would pull me in for a hug or even rub my arm for comfort, even though the situation called for it.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," I tried to smile as convincingly as I could.

"What happened last night?"

"I got a little too drunk and passed out. I don't really remember much," as I said the words I tried to make myself believe them. I got drunk, passed out, and the rest was probably just a part of my nightmare, I repeated in my head.

"Really? You didn't seem that drunk."

"I was out for quite a bit, so I kind of slept it off before you came."

I glanced at the clock that stood on the nightstand. "I think my mom has gone to work, so I'm gonna swing by my place and get changed quickly. I haven't been to school here in 5 months, so I don't think it would be a problem if I missed first period," I laughed halfheartedly.