Witches Without Brooms

13 Beaches - Lana Del Rey
"I don't belong in the world, that's what it is. Something separates me from other people. Everywhere I turn, there's something blocking my escape."

• • •

• • •

When I regained consciousness once more I knew this would be the last time. I had never felt so weak in my life. My head was spinning and so was my vision. I could vaguely make out a figure leaning against the wall but it was too much of a blur to see who it was. I focused as hard as I could and in time the image started to come together. But when it did, I wished it never had.

"Stefan?" I uttered softly. Using my voice took up more strength than I had.

His head jumped up and he turned towards me. "I actually hoped you wouldn't wake to see me anymore," he said.

I tried to keep my eyes open as I looked at him.

"I am sorry, Florence," he continued. He didn't say it mockingly, as I had expected him to, he actually sounded somewhat remorseful. But then again, my mind could be playing tricks on me considering the state I was in.

"Why?" I managed to ask him.

"I mean, I don't particularly want you to die," he said, his voice taking on an indifferent, even playful tone that I was more familiar with.

"I can't die," I stated, even though I sure as hell felt like I was dying.

"Well, you might, once the cure is out of your system."

It wasn't hard to make the connection, with my blood currently being drained out of me. So it seemed I finally knew what my weapon against Klaus and pretty much every other vampire was. My blood.

"Why are you doing this?"

He sighed and took his time before he spoke. "I need to be free of Klaus."

I frowned while my eyes fell down to the floor.

"I had to make this deal with him. He would only save my brother if I turned my humanity off and basically would serve him."

The weakest of smiles formed around my numb lips. "I understand," I whispered. And I did, I understood what one would do for family.

So I stopped fighting it and gave in to the darkness once more.

• • •

"Florence?"

"Dad?"

"Florence, you don't have much time."

"Dad? Is that you?"

"Talk to Bonnie, sweetheart."

"Bonnie? Why?"

"Remember."