(4), In Which Much Is Explained

"I believe," Lily began, scowling, "that you owe me a lot of answers." Kennett smiled weakly, nodding. He led her into another room where there were two armchairs and a couch. She set her bag down, sketch pad and pencils safely tucked away inside, and sat on the armchair. It sank under her weight, so cushy that it practically swallowed her whole. She had taken her shoes off at the door, so she tucked her legs underneath herself, sitting criss-cross applesauce on the chair. He sat in the chair across from her, crossing his legs.

"I believe I do. Fire away," he replied. Lily hesitated, millions of questions swarming her brain.

"What's your name? Your full name."

"Thaddeus Kennett." Lily scoffed.

"What kind of a name is Thaddeus?" Lily secretly felt that the name suited the man. It was the lengthened version of Tad, which she admitted, was sort of adorable. His expression twisted into one of distaste.

"What kind of a name is Lillian?" He shot back, and Lily frowned at him.

"Who are you? What do you do, and why do you need me to do that?" He observed her for a second, pondering his answer.

"I'm a detective. I investigate crime scenes, whether I have permission to do so or not. I'm almost always right, though Chief Inspector Harvey doesn't like to admit it. I need someone like you because he doesn't like me. I don't often get much time on the scene, and if someone like you can remember it and recreate it on paper from memory I won't have to be there as long. It won't be the same, but it might be enough. Also, you wouldn't know how much one appreciates a second opinion." Scowling, Lily paused, staring at him. He had taken his glasses off and placed them on a nearby table.

"Why me? Why not someone else?" He laughed, as if it was an obvious answer. Lily scowled, crossing her arms over her chest.

"You'd be surprised at how hard it is to find someone who can draw more than a stick figure in a town as small as this, Miss Valdez."

"Lily," she shot back. He looked surprised.

"Excuse me?" She looked down at her hands, fidgeting.

"You can call me Lily. That's what everyone calls me." He hesitated, before nodding slowly.

"Very well, Lily. If that's what you want. You may call me Thaddeus." They sat in silence for a few moments, but it wasn't uncomfortable. In fact, Lily almost didn't want it to end. It was a staring match between the two.

"Listen." He cleared his throat, sitting up straighter. "I want to make this job as easy as I can for you. Obviously, as I discovered last night, blood and gore is not your thing. Unfortunately, that comes up more often than not in this town. We are not a very happy bunch, some of us. You're going to have to get used to it. But I want to do everything I can to make this a job you can wake up and not be... afraid, let's say, to come and do. I want you to be comfortable working for me." Lily nodded solemnly, maintaining eye contact.

"I don't want to make your job hard for you, either. I'll do my best to get used to things like that, though it's going to take some time," she warned him. "That was my first time ever seeing something like that. I had never seen a drop of blood before that day. It's going to be hard for me. But I promise to do my best." He nodded, seemingly satisfied.

"Good." Lily flared up with a sudden confidence.

"One more question. What happened to that lady last night? The Chief Inspector asked if I had heard her. What was I supposed to be hearing? How did I sleep through something like that?" Thaddeus's eyes flashed with sudden interest, and he leaned forward in his seat, uncrossing his legs.