(12), In Which Connections Are Made

Three. Three weeks had passed since Lily had poured her heart out, and it hadn't gotten any less awkward. She found herself not only unwilling to look her partner in the eye, but avoiding him entirely. She always made an excuse to get out of that wretched old house, often times meeting up with April at Rosalina's Café for a nice chat or to just read together.

"Do you think he really meant it when he said he liked me?" Lily found herself asking her friend as she took a sip of her tea. April chuckled, glancing over at Lily. The brunette put her cup down and returned to her sketch. She was drawing a silhouette, which was something she had never tried before. She was struggling to get the shades and lighting correct. Her brow furrowed as she tore the paper out of her pad of paper, crumpling it along with the others.

"I think he meant it. And from the way you always describe him, I think you meant it, too. It wasn't a heat of the moment thing, that's for sure. There's obviously some chemistry between you two. It's obvious from the way you act around each other when he's seeing you off from the taxi." Lily sighed, nodding to herself. She doodled a picture of her employer, just a little cartoon like figure. He looked quite content, she decided. Perhaps he has a family by now, and that's why he looks so happy with himself. Lily smiled, doodling a little cartoon lady next to him with a small puppy by their side. She had decided a long time ago that she wouldn't want kids.

"I did mean it. I really do like him a lot. I'm just so awkward, and in the back of my head, I know that we're probably moving much too fast. I mean, I only just met him about a month ago, to be fair. What if we're both just clinging on to the people who make us feel safe and registering that emotion that we feel as love? What if we really aren't supposed to be... like that?" Lily frowned, crossing out her little doodle sadly.

"Don't worry, Lily. You two fit together perfectly. Even a blind man could see it. All I can say is make sure you two take your time. Enjoy it, before you get sick of each other." Eyes sparkling with amusement, April smiled at Lily, who felt slightly reassured. She reached up absentmindedly and touched her lips. The very lips that had been kissed by a certain Mr. Kennett only three weeks ago. The very lips that wanted to be kissed again, but didn't know how to ask. Her gaze traveled down as her eyes caught sight of a bright light. The sun was reflecting off of a chain hanging around April's neck. Lily tilted her head to get a better look, and realized that it was identical to the one May wore.

"Hey, April..." Lily began, the gears turning in her head. "Where do you get that necklace?" The redhead looked down, staring at the locket for a moment. Her lips curved up into a gentle smile.

"My mother gave it to me. Just a few years ago. Why do you ask?" Lily's heart dropped, though she was unsure of why. It could be a coincidence, couldn't it? What else could it be? She hesitated, before taking one last sip of her tea and beginning to pack up her pencils and paper. April looked confused. "Where are you going?" Lily paused.

"U-Uh, I just have to head back now. Robert makes these silly little rules. I have to eat all meals there and I'm starting to get a bit hungry, it's almost noon." April nodded, though still looking rather baffled, and also began to clean up the table. Lily bade her a quick farewell and was out the door, hailing a taxi. She payed him to bring her back to the mansion, and sat, fidgeting impatiently the whole way. She had a few questions for Tad. Once through the door, she searched the whole house. She had learned her way around by now, dashing up and down stairs, looking in rooms he would often be found. When she couldn't find him, she huffed, frustrated. Then she had an idea. An idea of where he might be.

She turned and ran back the other way, turning a sharp corner and entering the man's old bedroom. She shoved the desk aside, revealing the smaller door. Dropping to the floor, she shoved the front of her skirt under her knees and half-crawled, half-dragged herself through the passage. Standing up on the other side, she stepped on the end of her skirt, tangling her own feet. As she began to fall forward she saw Tad's arms shoot out to catch her, and instead of a cold, hard floor meeting her cheek, it was the warm, soft chest of her employer. Her cheeks heated up immediately, and she immediately straightened up, shoving herself away from him. She brushed her hair out of her face just in time to see his eyes flash with confusion, and slight hurt.