• Part 6 •

"Who's your new friend, Sakura?" a skinny boy with round eyes and thick brows asked, almost accusingly.

"Good morning, Lee. This is Naruto Uzumaki. Naruto, these are your group members," she announced as they both seated themselves at the round table. "Lee, Kiba, and Tenten."

The group waved stiffly which he returned just as sluggishly. Meeting new people wasn't always his strong point, and at this school he never knew how well he could get along with others with his luck so far.

"Is he going to be participating in the Konoha Ball with us next month?" the fuzzy brows inquired looking to Sakura eagerly for her reply.

"Huh?"

"Lee, he joined in late. He doesn't know what that is," Tenten interjected before Sakura could answer. "It's a big party held for the students that also invites a lot of public figures. It's put together by the students here."

"So... It's a dance," Naruto stated for clarification.

"A ball. You should see, it's much more extravagant than a normal dance," Lee retorted with unexpected keenness.

"An overstated dance, then. Are you trying to ask me to it?" he inquired jokingly, nonetheless making the startled junior turn red.

"O-of course not!" he exclaimed in embarrassment. "It's part of what theater does... The shows and..."

"Throughout the event there are performances put on by the students; many of them are from the theater department. It could be a small one act or a monologue if you prefer," Kiba took over the explanation before Lee became too flustered.

Naruto could not contain the hearty laughter at the suggestion before he firmly shook his head. "No thanks."

"Oh well," Tenten smiled with a shrug, "not everyone is an actor I suppose."

He couldn't help but feel warmed at how considerate they were being. This was the first time that he had come across somebody without having to put his guard completely up. "I'm not sure what I am yet. I'm hoping to find out."

"So, Naruto," the spiky haired boy known as Kiba spoke, "Tell us about you."

I'd rather not. For a moment he wasn't entirely sure of what he should have said. The truth was a tired sob story that he didn't believe anyone needed to know. How could kids that were born with a silver spoon in their mouths come to understand anyway?

"GOOOOOOD MORNING MY YOUNG AND TALENTED PUPILS!" The theatrical cry cut through the chatter and made the blond jump from his seat in panic. "And who might this be?!"

Naruto looked to the front of the room to notice that he was the only one who was caught off guard by the uproar. The source of the shout had come from a tall, outrageously dressed man whose haircut closely resembled Lee's. He pointed his index finger dramatically at the startled sophomore. "Could this be the wonderful new addition to Konoha Academy?! Naruto Uzumaki!"

The entire class turned their heads to look at him at once and he could feel his face turning bright red as everyone continued to stare at him without a sound.

"Umm... Hi," he choked with a nervous wave as he took his seat hurriedly. This is the last thing I need.

"Welcome, Naruto!" He bellowed. "You can call me Gai! Now, my beloved pupils! Let us begin our warm ups!"

Naruto sat down and looked through his fingers at his amused group members completely mortified. "Please tell me that was a hideously unfunny joke." The group only offered apologetic smiles in reply and he let his head fall to the table. "Oh dear god..."