• Part 16 •

No matter what he did, whether it was deep breathing, pacing, or twiddling his thumbs, he could not do anything to calm his nerves. His eyes had already adjusted to the darkness of the room, not bothering to open the blinds to let in the sunlight; it would only negate what he felt. Frustration, confusion, and fear were feelings that began to mingle and settled in the pit of his stomach, leaving most of his senses completely useless.

What happened? He could have sworn he had asked himself that over a thousand times but he only received a spiteful silence in reply. It was no longer a debatable topic. He made out with Sasuke. Oh goddamnit I actually thought it again! But how the hell was he supposed to react, with anger, aggression, or relief? He wasn't even entirely sure of the Uchiha's motives, but when it happened... He didn't regret it... In fact, he didn't want it to stop. That was the most unsettling thought of all.

He wrapped his arms around himself for comfort. Weird shivers were running over his skin that still burned from the other boy's touch. He had never known such an intimate touch and would have never imagined that the first time he'd feel it was with his despised roommate, a guy.

The door soon opened, abruptly cutting off his train of thought, and he froze in place as Neji closed it behind him. Even with such an intimidating posture he held a sort of elegance that could not take the beauty from his eyes. He walked to the center of the room with an intense stare as if he was daring Naruto to say something stupid.

"Hi..." Smooth.

"Explain."

"It was my fault," he stammered nervously, "I was mad that he took the study room and I overreacted and provoked him and we got into a fight!" Since when did he know how to lie so well on the spot? Maybe it was partly due to the fact that there was a bit of truth in it. In theory that is what had happened, but he was not about to reveal the true motives behind it or what had really taken place.

"Try again."

"I-it's true!" he spoke more softly, growing evermore restless under the studious gaze. "I threw my notebook at him, and things just took off from there..."

"What have I been telling you about Sasuke?" Neji's voice held a very distinct tone of contempt.

"To stay away from him..."

"So what the hell have you been doing this entire time?!" The Hyuuga raised his voice sharply, making the blond shrink away with a bowed head.

"I'm sorry!"

"Sorry doesn't cut it, you moron!" He yelled as he advanced on the younger boy. He didn't like Neji like this... It was too unnatural for him to feel comfortable. "From day one you've caused nothing but trouble yet you insist on continuously being the bane of my existence this week!" His brows were furrowed with a deep disturbance that only tainted those pale eyes.

"I can't help myself!" He countered. "I lash out when I am confused!"

"You must be pretty goddamn sure of yourself if you haven't tried to run my head into the ground!" he shouted as he grabbed Naruto's arm in a painful grip. "Just how stupid are you?!"

"But Sasuke—"

"Shut the hell up about him already!" he snarled threateningly. "Tell me what happened, now!"

"Please stop!" His plea rose louder than the Hyuuga's shouting and caused a brief moment of silence. "This... This isn't like you, Neji..."

His expression softened as a clear look of doubt and perplexity mingled in his features. His eyes still held no trace of anger but a great pain that he had come to recognize in another's stare. Before he could become vulnerable, Neji quickly turned back to a look of frustration. "Enlighten me, Uzumaki. What am I like?"