• Part 7 •

The study room was completely empty with the word "DETENTION" written clearly across the board in front. Yeah, because I was about to forget. Moments later the Uchiha joined them before Iruka spoke to the both of them.

"I think you gentlemen know why you're here," he stated with a stern look. "You will be released after an hour has passed. I'll be checking in so refrain from any bloodshed while I'm gone." He gave Naruto, what seemed like, a sympathetic look before he exited the room.

The two boys took their seats in a dreary silence before letting out a collective sigh. Naruto leaned back in his chair while Sasuke remained perfectly still. It was easy to forget that they had gotten into a fight just a couple days ago. He glanced at the raven who had his eyes closed, probably imagining that he was anywhere but detention. Then, there was a sudden pang of guilt... It was actually his fault that they had ended up here. If he had been more patient and levelheaded the whole thing probably could have been avoided.

But do I really have to apologize to him? What did he actually owe the Uchiha for? Murderous glares and tedious arguments? He shook his head when he realized that it wasn't all Sasuke's responsibility. He had been the one to instigate action from the senior that left him with no other choice but to retaliate. He closed his eyes as he exhaled deeply through his nose. If he didn't do it now he would never be able to bring himself to do it.

"I'm sorry," he felt his voice echo before he realized that Sasuke had said it at the exact same time. "Wait... Why are you sorry?" He was completely taken aback that the dark haired boy may have been thinking the same thing.

"That I let us get into this mess," he grumbled lowly, his eyes now fixated on the board that further reminded him of their punishment. "You acted out of anger, but I was the one who responded to it. If I had done nothing it probably would have ended there." His voice was strained as if he was trying to force himself to speak.

For a moment the blond was at a complete loss for words as he stared at the older boy in bemusement. Even this asshole could bring himself to be the better person? Maybe he was mature for his age. When he thought about it, if Sasuke would have done nothing after he shoved him that would have only made him feel like a jackass, which wasn't a pleasant outcome either.

He shook his head, looking down at the bare desk. "I'm usually not like this..."

"Neither am I," he added, still refusing to meet Naruto's eyes. He had known that to be true, however. Neji had mentioned that the Sasuke that everyone else was used to was a calm and collected model student who did everything with a sense of self-respect and dignity. Why did he see someone that was so different from that? "I'm not sure why I let myself get so carried away."

Now he's making me feel bad! The last thing he wanted was to feel as if he owed something to him. Why couldn't he just accept the apology and be done with it? "I'm not sure either."

A tense silence befell the two as Naruto considered what he should say next. Only when those black eyes finally agreed to meet his did he notice that he had been staring at Sasuke almost the entire time. His eyes darted to his left and stared out the window, feeling his ears get really hot. "Anyways, I guess it doesn't really matter since we ended up here anyways. There's nothing to be done about it now." There was an affirmative grunt from the other boy as they sat awkwardly. Maybe that wasn't enough to make up for how considerate the Uchiha was being. "And thanks... I guess... For showing me where calculus was." Sasuke didn't reply, only leaned forward onto his hands with his eyes closed once again. This made it easier to look at him without feeling embarrassed by meeting his gaze. "So, what now?"

"I suppose we sit in silence for 50 more minutes," the raven mumbled in reply.

Naruto frowned as he looked out the window again. "It looks like some people are still attending class, but school gets out so early."