Chapter 3

Chapter: 3

            Immediately after the anthem ends we are escorted into the justice building by a group of peace keepers. I guess it’s a precaution the Capitol started to take due to the fact that in the past, Tributes when selected fled and tried to run away, although I’ve never seen it happen I wouldn’t be surprised if it did happen, Because that very thought crossed my mind several times. Once am in the building the peace keepers escort me to a room where I am left alone.          

            The room is extremely elegant very formal and clean the first word that crossed my mind when I glanced at the room was rich. I stroll across the room still trying to comprehend everything that is happening, and let myself drop like a sack of potatoes onto a couch. It is so comfortable it’s ridiculous, half the cloths that the couch was made of I never knew existed.

            As I glance across the room I see a Giant book shelf, and a desk with beautiful miniature sculptures of trees and flowers. I would be happy to appreciate the art but I’m too tangled in my web of thoughts.                                                              

            As I sit I think of the people that are going to visit me. I’m almost sure my father won’t come, like I said he’s not a peoples person he avoids any scenario that might expose his emotions. I try and promise myself that I won’t leave this room with my cheeks red and eyes watery, I must be strong. I’m certain there will be plenty of cameras all the way to the train station. And I can’t afford to have hidden my emotions at the reaping just to cry and have everyone know am afraid.         

            The first person that visits me is my friend Daniel the same friend I was with before the reaping, when our lives were normal and full of somewhat promise. He extends his hand, almost as if he's asking for money or somehing, but it soont becomes clear he is reaching out for something of much morre value, a sign of affection, a hand shake. As I grab it he pulls me in for a hug.                            

            “I’m going to miss you!” he says with his voice nearly cracking, “I’m going to miss you too man!” at this point I already broke my rule, I’ve started to become teary eyed by the fact of knowing this is the last time I’ll see him, but I still manage not to drown myself in tears, I just flutter my eyes preventing anymore than a few drops of tears to run down my face.

            “You can win Peeta, your strong, find a way to use it as an advantage!” he tells me, trying to motivate me. “I don’t know Daniel, I'm a bakers son I can’t kill anyone with a loaf of bread.” I say “At least try Peeta, I know you won’t kill Katniss but maybe you won’t have too, there’s twenty-four of you!”

            This reminds me of Katniss, I don’t want to kill her, more than anything I wish to know her, and possibly marry her. The thought of having to kill her makes me nauseous, I can’t bear the image of seeing myself killing Katniss. Even though I doubt I could get close enough to hurt her. I’m sure before I can get within 20 yards of her she would sink an arrow into my throat. If it came down to us being the last two tributes I’m positive she would kill me a lot faster than I can kill her.  

             We stand silent for a moment while I think of something to say. “Don’t go and replace me after I leave the justice building.” I tell him trying to make a joke. He chuckles and gives me another half hug. then he opens his mouth to speak.  

            “Peeta you got to try and win, do it for…” before Daniel can finish his sentence the Peacekeepers come in and drag him out. “Be strong Peeta!” I hear him holler before he is thrown out.