Chapter 7

Chapter 7

            My slumbers are quite pleasant, I dream of Annette and how we spent that afternoon in the meadow. The sun was bright and warm; it provided the perfect amount glare and shine to our skin. we spent the entire afternoon together, we started by walking to the bakery from school, after we had attended an art competition I had won.

            We slowly crept up into my room as I retrieved the art supplies. She was still as beautiful as she is right now back then. The bakery was quite calm for an odd reason. The only person we encountered on the way out was my brother. But he didn’t really seem to be too interested in the girl. He just looked a little jealous, and if I were him I would be too, Annette is so beautiful whenever she’s with a guy she makes all the other boys in school wish they could be the one with her.

          But I didn’t really care if anyone was jealous I never really thought of Annette as more than a friend until the day of the reaping.  We walked at a joyful pace to the meadow, on the walk there Annette would tell me about her troubles in school, how she’s worried for her friends and the reaping, but not once did I ever come up as a worry. Maybe she someone how thought that since I’m a bakers son, the odds of not being selected were in my favor, that’s what I thought at least.

           When we arrived we immediately made a dash for the tree I set my art supplies down next to the tree, and inspected the area everything was perfect that evening, the sun was positioned in the ideal area providing the right amount of shade giving the perfect amount of light to the surroundings making the pigments of the sceneries appearances the perfect shade of color.         

          For a while Annette and I mess around, having fun, climbing the tree and having acorn fights throwing them at each other laughing away until we were tiered and required a rest.

        I climbed down first and attempted to help Annette down; on her last step down she slipped and fell only a few feet, we giggled after I made sure she was okay.

             But before she could get up I told her commandingly “wait, don’t move!”  “Why?” she giggled still laughing about the fall. “I think this is the prefect picture for my canvas.” I explained with a smile on my face.

            Annette smiled in agreement. Thus the day came to an end in a beautiful sunset. We sat next to each other, leaning up against the tree enjoying the beautiful sunset as the day came to an end.

            Annette sat there admiring the painting. Until the sun completely set, giving off its last embers of light we commenced to walk back to the bakery. Before we left the meadow, Annette grabbed my hand and kissed me on the cheek. “Thanks for the painting, you’re really sweet,” she whispered romantically into my ear.

            “You’re welcome,” I told Annette attempting the same tenderness in her voice only to end in failure. She laughed and gave me a hug, just as we were about to head our separate directions I see Gale staring at me with furry in his eyes just as a notice him he drops his gaze and flees in the opposite direction.

            “Just ignore him,” Annette says with a hint of guilt in her voice, “he’s my ex boyfriend.” “It’s okay I understand,” I comforted Annette, she smiles once again and kisses me for a second time on my cheek, then she disappears into the town as I seek refuge in my home.

            I raise myself from my bed as the streaks’ of light seep through the window; no one had to wake me today I had a sufficient amount of rest that I did not require sleeping in. I’m already dressed with the training outfit laid out for me and ready with my hair brushed and mouth cleaned when I hear the knock at my door, “I know Effie I’m already up,” I hiss at Effie, “someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed.” Effie counter insults me and laughs as she flees to wake up Katniss.