Chapter 6

Chapter 6

          The training center is essentially a huge tower. This will be our home until the Hunger Games actually begin. Each pair of tributes are assigned one whole floor as their living quarters. It’s simple; you step into an elevator and press the desired floor number. The floors are assigned by your district number, so ours Is twelve, easy enough to remember.

            I’ve ridden in an elevator before, once in our district. The elevtator is located in the justice building. It was back at the ceremony when Katniss’s father had died, in order to attend to the ceremony you had to ride in the elevator to the second floor were the actual ceremony took place.

            But the elevator in the justice building was nothing like the one here in the Capitol, it was dusty, old and dark, when you would step into it you would be greeted by a deep dark elevator shaft and it had transparent doors that would close around you like a cage. Unlike the elevator here in the Capitol, the elevator is clean, and seems to look and feel brand new and well maintained, the elevator shaft is not in the building itself rather in the building it is attached to the outside with clear windows all around it. So you can see the Capitol people as you rise to your destination.

            Katniss and I wave at the Capitol people as they become small specks with every inch we elevate. I look over at Katniss as she waves enthusiastically, and it almost seems as if she wishes to ask Effie if she can ride the elevator again. But it appears as if she restrains her thoughts and continues to wave and marvel at the sight the elevator so generously pleases her with.

           Oddly it appears as if Effie’s duties did not conclude with just the escorting of the reaping. Effie and Haymitch will be overseeing us right into the arena. In a sense, I’m grateful to have Effie, although annoying at times, sheis the reason we get anywhere around the Capitol, because of her were always in the required locations on time. Whereas if Haymitch was in charge we would be in a bit of a predicament, with all his drinking problems most likely he would avoid us drinking his life away, and quickly following that with passing out in a hidden corner.

            Soon enough the topic breaks ice Katniss and Effie commence to chatter away at the topic of herself being a superb overseer. By the look on Effie’s face she is fairly pleased to gain some positive recognition. She continues to hold the conversation with Katniss saying how she is excited to have a pair of tributes that made a splash at the opening ceremonies.

             I try to ignore their conversation as I remember how Effie doesn’t really care about us and only maintains a consistent amount of interest in us because it’s her job; if we die she would surely act this nice and hospitable to her next pair of tributes.

             Doing my best ignore them my attention is quickly suppressed at the sound of Effie proudly describing how she spent the whole day talking us up. And it doesn’t surprise me. On several occasions Effie has mentioned she knows everyone who is anyone in the Capitol.

            I might actually survive, I think to myself and then I quickly correct myself remembering the plan of action I have so brilliantly devised, we might survive, I tell myself.

            We reach our room and the sight of the living quarter is absolutely stunning I’m given my own room that is the size of the bakery back home. My room is quiet similar  to the one on the train except for the size difference and the different gadgets and buttons I will most likely not have time to press all of. I look around and spot the shower it’s a lot larger than the one on the train and has three times as more knobs and levers for water temperature, pressure, soaps, shampoo, conditioners, and body wash, there are also buttons and various valves to were water flows out from all around the shower my best guess would be that you can have all the valves on at once having water pour down on you from all angles.