Chapter 1

I looped my arms under the body trying desperately to place my thoughts elsewhere. Nothing helped though. I could think about the weather, could think about where I was going to get my next job, even what TV show I wanted to binge on Netflix.

Mundane crap wasn't working. My brain was like, nope, let's dwell on the other horrible thing happening right now.

I dragged poor Bob (or whatever his name was) into the pile with the rest of them. Putrid. It wasn't their fault though. It was mine. Pungent smells played with my nose. This was the worse.

Seeing all of this together.

I place him gently as a tremor ripples across my chest. Guilt I suppose. Placing him carefully on top of Sally, I slip. My hands fall on top of another body next to her. I bite back the need to vomit. When did I become so squeamish? Seriously!

You wouldn't even know I was the same girl who shucked out a Selkies eye balls with a cereal spoon.

I was not sharing my Frosted Flakes.

Body collecting would have been a hobby of mine months ago. Love was making me soft. The good kind anyways. Not the crazy psychotic mess that was Landon and I.

Landon.

I growl involuntarily. Every time I thought about him my vampire/ demon instincts flared. I kept that shit tamped down for centuries and now I couldn't get a grip on it.

Fangs. Check

Anger. Check.

Hunger.

Well that was always, but check.

I needed to focus on the task at hand. Bodies and more bodies. The sad mess below needed my full attention. Landon deserved none of it.

After betraying me to the queen of the damned, Princess of hell, or oh yeah, also my aunt, I wanted him dead. The need to end him seeped under my skin making me raw.

I killed evil creatures sure. I wasn't hateful. It wasn't in my nature. The anger in me felt like a sickness. I'd been a mess.

I needed a distraction. I looked down at the tragic pile. Seeing all of this I almost forgot why I decided to do it.

Rory (my super amazing mermaid soul mate/ best friend) and I had gone walking through the woods needing desperately to clear my head. I needed a plan.

Jackson was taken a week ago by Xander. Prince of the Otherworld. Scorned ex lover of mine. After running for two hundred years I was caught after Landon trapped me in this town.

I wanted to see how far Lilith's touch reached. She had drained the blood of so many creatures to try and open a portal. She wanted the creatures of hell to live on earth. My blood would have blurred the lines between worlds. Earth would've became a sulfur pit.

We ended up walking for miles up through the woods looking for survivors.

Instead we found bodies.

We soon realized Lilith's attack had been worse than we could have imagined.

I'd lost count after two hundred forty seven.

So far no survivors.

So far tons of bloodless bodies.

I shake my head. So much unnecessary loss of life. For the first time in eight hundred years I was sick of it.

Sick of the evil.

Sick of the non-sense.

There is no point to this kind of massacre.