Chapter 9

The Main castle appeared over the hills but was still far enough from the other three main castles like they were giving it space to breathe. The other three castles behind the main one were quiet unlike the main one which was brimming with power and promise.

Lights flickered and people cheered.

Music sang through the wind. I've never seen an Illume, only heard about the grand excess of these parties.

It was like a princess coming out party. The celebration lasted days sometimes weeks. When the princess turned sixteen she started her responsibilities in the kingdom.

Sky was nuts for visiting her. Guards would be swarming the castle though if he posed as a slave I guess they wouldn't think the better of it. Slaves are what made the world go round here.

They were allowed free range of the court. They couldn't look at anyone and couldn't speak.

Not like they would if they could. Human flesh rots with time here.

Especially the winter slaves. Their sallow skin and sunken eyes from last time still haunted me.

That's why they needed new ones. That's why they came to earth to gather more. It was awful and I wish it could stop, but it couldn't. They needed humans as much as we needed them.

I shut my eyes knowing this was going to be tricky. I didn't want anyone feeling my magic but I needed to feel out the area.

Xander's castle was behind the main one far up on the hill. I needed to see if I could feel Jackson's energy.

Shaky and erratic like a punch to the chest. I felt it the first time we locked hangs. That feeling has stayed with me since.

"Be on the lookout I'm going to try and locate Jackson."

I stood facing the castles and felt a slow pulse far left. It wasn't fae power which felt like being sucked into a tornado.

I thankfully didn't feel any fae energy but that brought a more disturbing thought. Where were they? Did they catch my friends? Where was Xander?

"Come on that one, we need to move fast this area is quiet. I don't know if that's because they found the others."

I was nervous. I didn't like too easy. Too easy was suspect. Though, Xander could have ordered everyone away from his castle to hide his guest.

There was only one punishment for breaking the law here.

Death.

Even for royals. They didn't care. If you broke the law you were risking their existence.

My legs ached. I wanted to stop. The only consolation was reaching the castle. I wanted to collapse. Even Landon looked ready to pass out.

Stepping to the front of the castle I took in the sight. It looked like freaking Elsa created this house. The ice was towered straight up into a violent point.

It was dead.

Completely.

"Is this normal?"

I shook my head. No there should be guards and people. They could all be down at the party but still. There should be someone. I needed to know where Xander went.

We stepped inside the monstrosity, the entrance looking more like a cave than a house. It was so dark, it looked vacant.

"You sure this is the one?"

I nod looking around the empty hall. The entrance was set in stone leading to a giant open room with corridors shooting off in every direction.

"Ah memories." I smirked and Landon rolled his eyes.