Chapter 19

If I was a champion marathon runner my legs still wouldn't take me fast enough to Jackson.

Cradling the antidote while sprinting through the wood was impressive feet for someone as clumsy as I was.

My torn dress looked like something out of Cinderella after midnight... and the zombie apocalypse happened on her carriage ride home.

I didn't even grab my heels, frostbite tried to claim my toes.

I almost lost everything.

My friends, my mission, and the antidote. Most of all my will to go on.

I wanted to breathe in relief but this wasn't the end. Once I gave this to Jackson we would go back home and face Xander.

Another battle.

I fought off fatigue. I didn't have time for it. Sleep would smother me some other time.

I barged into the front of Tasi's house after everything expecting Jackson to be gone and have to go on another quest to find him.

But no.

He was there shirtless, sweaty, and barely breathing. The black veins traveled their way down his spine. I walked to him carefully like I didn't want to disturb him.

Desily greeted me first. "Did you grab the head?"

"Ew no. Why would I do that?"

"Because I asked you too!"

"I didn't think you were serious!"

"I would never joke of such things. Go get me my head."

"Gross, you get it." What was it about Fae and head collecting?

I stepped around her and walked up to Jackson. I set down the antidote carefully.

I grabbed him easily shifting him over. Cradling his head I tipped back the purple liquid. "I swear to god if this is more poison I will set fire to the Fae."

"I'll set fire to Fae, watch them burn as I peel their face."

"It's not poison." Sela called out behind me. "What are you singing?"

"It's Adele, or at least my own version and how the hell did you get here so quick." I ran as fast as my short legs would take me.

"I portaled."

I stared at her flatly. "Guess I didn't think of that." Why didn't I just have them portal me here. Gods my brain was a mess.

She chuckles stepping on the opposite of the table. "He should be okay now. Basilisk poison is nasty. If he wasn't a berserker he'd be dead."

"Well thank god for small favors."

"You truly love him huh?"

"More than I can handle apparently."

"My brother was obsessed with you, you know. I didn't think you remembered me or at least didn't see me the first time you were here."

"I'm sorry I killed your mother."

"Don't be. I would have eventually."

How sweet. "You know I want your brother dead right?"

"You know I don't care."

"Unfeeling, all of you."

"No, not all. I just know evil when I see it. I don't need to wait around and see if things change. I know at least with our kind it doesn't."