Chapter 8

It looks like the red doors from The Shining opened up. Carnage and limbs were sprinkled everywhere.

Things like this should not make me giddy.

I had to admit, I mean not to Landon because eff him, but to myself- I was impressed.

"I know that look? I did a nice job huh." He beamed wearing that stupid smug grin.

I almost crack. My armor wearing down a little bit. I wanted to forgive him so badly. I wanted what we used to have. I couldn't though.

Pride stood like Goliath in front of my forgiveness.

"Not even a little."

The blast of wind hit us opening the door from the servant cell. The sun glared off the snow causing temporary blindness.

"How did you even know where we were?" There had to be hundreds of these nasty little containers around here.

"Jack helped."

"He hit me!" I stopped abruptly.

"I don't know but he told me where they were taking you. Weird little man he is."

"What happened?"

"We saw him hit you then guards flooded the trees. I don't think he expected it. You three were captured. He portaled me elsewhere. Next thing I know I was in front of all these bunkers. He said you guys would be in one of them and pointed me in the right direction."

"I don't understand any of it."

"Did you guys meet last time you were down here? Is he an old friend?" He smirked.

"He helped me a little. I mean helped me without helping me. Told me where the queen was keeping the slaves."

"Why does he talk in riddles?"

"He's magically forbidden to tell secrets. He's not really a faerie but I think you know that."

He nods grimly. "I've heard of Jack Frost."

"Well what you don't know is the snow that they need to live in is from him. As punishment he was sent to live out his immortal life here. He hates them."

"You can't help him?"

"I try my best to stay away from the gods wrath. Bad enough I have royal demon blood choking my veins. I don't mess with that stuff unfortunately for Jack. He was punished and he will live out that punishment."

The servants quarters were surrounded by woods like they were trying to hide this nasty secret.

The main castle peered out from the distance. It looked like a toy.

"We have a while to walk."

The smaller castles were off in the distance behind the main one. I mean they're called castle respectively but Cole and Danny's house was bigger than the ones behind the main one.

They were tiny compared to the grand excess of the main one.

Lights shone in the distance making it easier to guide our way in that direction. My heart slammed against my chest. The Illume would be the first trick.

Xander was the second.

"Lucy." Landon grabbed my arm. "Stop I saw something."

Normally I would have a smart ass comeback but now was not the time.

There's a time and place for sarcasm.

I went to ask what but I saw it to. Fluid like a shadow passing in the trees. "It knows we're here."