⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀seventeen

seventeen. state of dreaming

 state of dreaming

loc. beyond the wall. 299AC

⠀⠀⠀Carsen was falling still.

⠀⠀⠀Would she ever stop? She had no idea. Thought was no such thing where she was - and where was she?

⠀⠀⠀She was nowhere, in every sense of the word.

⠀⠀⠀She was floating through the gap between life and death, hanging on with torn and bloodied nails. She was in the terrifying oblivion she had feared all her life.

⠀⠀⠀But what scared her most is that she didn't want to die here.

⠀⠀⠀Not like this, hovering through this limbo - because she was nothing. She wasn't hot nor cold, she wasn't upside nor the right way up, she wasn't scared nor panicked nor desperate. It was as though she had been made up of tiny strings her entire life, and here, in this void, they had started to unravel, pulling away everything that made her Ceria Sargen.

⠀⠀⠀Ceria Sargen. Carsen Sage. Sparrow. What did names matter, in the end? Everything was just an echo in time, and after she was dead and gone, the earth would move over her, her bones would turn to dust, and her name would be scrubbed from everyone's mind. They were always a step away from this oblivion - all it took was one muscle in the chest to cease, and here they were.

⠀⠀⠀The visits came shortly.

⠀⠀⠀She was standing in the grass outside her home.

⠀⠀⠀The plane was silver with dew and the scent of roasting meat hung hazily in their air. The sky overhead was grey and stormy, but Carsen had never seen something that felt so wonderfully like home.

⠀⠀⠀"Ceria!"

⠀⠀⠀The name echoed as if they were inside a tunnel; as she turned, she saw him.

⠀⠀⠀Her brother looked exactly the same as he had done last time she had seen him. His head a mop of curly, ebony hair, his almond irises warm and russet, the dimple under his left eye more prominent than ever as he rushed toward Carsen.

⠀⠀⠀And he was hugging her, and she was surrounded by his smell of sap and pollen and smoke, and her hands were gripping the hair on the back of his neck for the first time in months. Perhaps she would have cried if she could, but she found the tears melted off her cheeks as soon as they left her eyes.