⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀thirty two

thirty-two. the cave

 the cave

loc. mance rayder's camp, the frostfangs. 300AC

⠀⠀⠀⠀"ORRELL SAYS THERE ARE CROWS patrolling the Wall. Tell me what you know."

⠀⠀⠀⠀Jon readjusted his grip on the bundle of logs he held under his left arm, glancing warily from Tormund to Orrell. The warg looked at both of them with such loathing that Carsen wondered if they'd unknowingly killed his kin.

⠀⠀⠀⠀"...There are four to a patrol," Jon answered dutifully. "Two Builders to check the construction, two Rangers to make watch for enemies."

⠀⠀⠀⠀For all their talk of no kings or rulers, Carsen found herself thinking. Jon still sounds as though he is speaking to the king of the Seven Kingdoms.

⠀⠀⠀⠀"And how often do these patrols go out?" Orrell pressed. Carsen looked up when she realised the warg was talking to her.

⠀⠀⠀⠀"It varies," she answered steadily. It was definitely loathing clouding that man's dark, dark eyes. They reminded Carsen of roaches, writhing and glinting in the sallow cage of his head, legs scrabbling for hold inside eyes that flooded with white. She swallowed. "If I knew where on the Wall we were heading, I could tell you."

⠀⠀⠀⠀Tormund glanced up sharply.

⠀⠀⠀⠀"You'd like to know that," Orrell leered, stepping closer to Carsen until she could smell the rank stench of his breath on her face. It was hot, and the smell of death clung faintly to it. This man had seen hundreds die through eyes that weren't his own.

⠀⠀⠀⠀"Yes, I would. Who else knows the weak spots, the chinks in the armour? The Wall isn't just a big fucking slab of ice, it's a fortress. Isn't that why you kept us alive?" Carsen didn't know where her newfound coldness had sprung from, but suddenly Ygritte's hand was on her arm, reeling her back, and her green eyes flashed with warning that shot right through Carsen's bones to nick at her stomach.

⠀⠀⠀⠀"There are nineteen castles guarding the Wall." Orrell had stepped back. "How many are manned?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀"Three," Jon answered quickly before Carsen could. His expression was pinched in annoyance.

⠀⠀⠀⠀"Which ones?"

⠀⠀⠀⠀A silence heavy as velvet drapes hung in the air. "Castle Black. Eastwatch by the sea. And the Shadowtower," Carsen bit out. "Are we done yet, your grace, or would you like to question me some more?"