10: Depth

After the carnival, Cayden's mom took Waverly and Mackenzie back to their house while Cayden and Alia went back to his. The excitement died down.

Alia clutched the stuffed elephant that Cayden had won for her, as they walked inside. Alia set the elephant on the chair and made her way to his closet to get some clothes. She set her toiletry bag on the counter and grabbed herself some clothes, leaving to the bathroom. She closed the door behind her, shrugging out of her clothes, looking at herself in the mirror.
She smiled.

Alia had many flaws, but she seemed happy in her appearance. She tugged on her spandex shorts, covered by gym shorts, and an old t-shirt. She brushed out her hair, tugging the tangles out.

"Ali?" Cayden called.
"Be out in a sec!"

"Okay." He smiled as the door opened and she walked out. She put her stuff away and smiled at him.

"Did you have a good day?" He asked as they sat on the covers, talking about what was on their mind.
"Of course," She smiled, "Cayden, today has been the best day of my life."
"Yeah?" He chuckled.
"Yeah, you made me feel safe and happy even when the Ferris wheel stopped. You won me an elephant."
"I wanted to make you feel happy and safe, Alia."
"You did. You did so very much, Cayden."
There was a pause, and then silence.

"Do you miss him?" Cayden asked. She knew who he was talking about. Caleo-- She hadn't heard from him in weeks.
"I don't know. He hasn't tried to talk to me so I haven't seen much of a point. He made the bet, too. I don't remember my relationship with him ever happy for more than a few minutes. He didn't understand or seem to care how I felt, at all. He didn't care how his friends treated me or the cruel words his father said to me. I don't want to miss it." She sighed.
Cayden pulled her to him, wrapping his arms around her.
"You don't have to miss it, Ali... You have me. But you don't have to be in this even if you don't want to be."
"But I do, Cayden." She whispered, before pressing her lips softly to his.