7. Patience Is a Virtue

We wind up staying till after lunch. West says their goodbyes and I thank Michael and Nicci for the meals. I figured something out while I was there and it made me realise something about West. West is Non-Binary. Everyone I've met uses neutral pronouns for West verbally even their family.
We walk side by side through the dirt street. Its hot and dry out but the town kids are out side playing ball happily anyways.
"Hey Locus. So because that your my.... Responsibility now, you'll be living with me for however long you decide to stay here." West says responsibly with sarcasm dripping from their voice. I nod and look around at the run down and boarded up houses, wondering which one is theirs. We walk a distance that could be considered a couple blocks until we come upon these five house that while the lawns needed mowing and the walls needed repainting, they were probably some of the nicest houses inside the town that Locus had seen. Three of them are a faded blue and the other two are an ugly pale yellow.
We approach the gate of one of the yellow ones and West hesitates, touching the fence and gate causously. Almost like their scared of what's on the otherwise. Briefly I wonder when the last time West was here since they had been dealing with the civil war. I wondered last time they'd lived in a house, because I sure as hell don't remember the last time I hadn't slept on a space ship or in the crappy quarters of the Federations base... West pushed the faded white gate open and led me through the over grown lawn.
"Ugh. Gonna have to pull the walk way stones up and relay them. And probably have to just take apart all the wood planters in the back..." I couldn't tell if West was telling me this or just thinking out loud but I nodded along anyway. I figured that if I'd be living here and with the shape of West knee's I'd probably be doing plenty of yard work. Not that I doubted West's ability's, their very muscular and even though they have the leg problems I don't doubt West's ability to hold their own. I notice something that sets this house apart from the other four as we get to the porch it's the planter boxes on almost all the windows, the hanging baskets with various over grown messes, and dead or not dead pots on and around the porch. I glance over to where West had been, where now there was just an open door. I sucked in a breath of air and followed West inside.
The entry way was covered in dust as probably the rest of the house. There are coats and hats hanging up and lots of different shoes and boots all covered in a nice layer of dust and cobwebs. I close the door behind me, locking it.
"West? Should I take my shoes off?" I hear something be set down less than gracefully from another room.
"Probably not. It's kinda gross in here. God this place is gonna need some serious cleaning." I heard another door open and walk through the living room looking around. There's a fuzzy blue couch and two maroon colored leather chairs. There's a nice glass coffee table covered in a foot of dust. I quickly go thrpugh the dinning room and entering the kitchen I see West looking out the into the back yard.
"Fucking hell the grass is like 8 feet tall!" West groans while smiling and closes the screen door. "Locus can you help open all the windows? Just all off them. It's gross and stuffy in here. I can feel the layer of dust in my lungs." Nodding I go back into the dinning room and open the windows. As i turn around i notice something the dinning room table, a fancy picture frame. Deciding to let curiosity get the better of me I wipe the dust off to see who's in the picture. In the picture is a younger West, with a pixie cut and green color in it. The scar over their eye looks very fresh and they have a huge smile on their face. Under Wests arm is a woman with brown, long curly hair with a red bow and green eyes. She's also smiling.
They are both wearing white dresses.
It's a wedding picture.

West groans and rubs their temples,
"Zeta the house is so gross!"
"It shouldn't take to long to get it back in a decent condition with Locus's help." Zeta says to me patiently.
I throw open my bedrooms curtains, dust going flying. I open the huge window letting the fresh air pool into my lungs. Walking over to the red love seat that's in my room I collapse onto it. "I can not wait to set up a pond. Oh maybe I'll get a dog. Locus would probably like a dog to. What about you, Zeta?" I can feel the warmth of Zeta's happiness in my head,
"I would very much like a dog. A golden retriever, maybe? Those were always Jessica's favorite. ' when this is all over, and we can settle down we should get a Golden retriever puppy.'" Zeta quoted Jessica's words. Smiling slightly I add,
"Of course, and a vegetable garden. And a huge koi pond!" I remance positively. A feel the twinge of sadness and emptiness crawl up my throat upon remembering that Jessica is gone.
Standing up and pushing the thoughts down I open the bedroom closet, pulling out some light blue sheets and throw them on the bed.
"I can't wait to be able to garden again. Tomorrow I'll tinker with the mower. When ever I can get it to work I'll put Locus to work mowing." I tell Zeta so he can help me remember. "I'm sure Louise would appreciate someone mowing all five houses lawns.   Also I need to see what can be salvaged from the garden and potted plants. I'll dump what ever can't be salvaged into the compost. I'm sure that what ever I put in there a couple months ago would be decomposed by now."
"Okay. Also, Locus is approaching." I just finish up with the making the bed when I hear Locus lean against the door frame, making it creak.
"Hey Locus. Need something?" I ask without looking at him.
"When are we getting our suits back?" I turn around and glance at him, slightly surprised at the question for a moment. What did he want his suit for? Was he really going to just leave?
"Oh uh, we can go get them from the hospital tomorrow. We can put them on and walk back with them. That would probably be the best way to move them around. But uh, you don't really need to wear it now, yknow." I shrug at him. He's leaning on the door frame and almost taking up the whole walk way. He has his ever nuetural look on his face. He nods curtly adding before,
"Okay. Also there is no food here." I groan and nod, of course he noticed that. Walking over to him I run a hand through my hair, "Yeah. Gonna have to go get some stuff from town. Also, we won't have power for a couple days as I need to make sure everything's hooked up to the solar panels and nothing is going to catch on fire. You'll have to stand out there and hold the latter for me while I'm on the roof." I slide past him, I can almost feel him wince as I brush past him. "The guest room is kinda small, but at least you won't have to sleep on the couch or something." I open the hallway closet, grabbing some dark brown sheets. "Here, put these on your bed and relax. I'll go turn on the water so you can take a shower when you want." Locus awkwardly took the sheets I shoved at him.
I snap my fingers and turn around to look at him as I walk down the stairs, remembering something.
"I'm gonna also see if I can find some clothes that'll fit you. Be back in an hour or so with dinner."

Locus stood there at the top of the stairs, bewildered at how fast West had moved to get out of the house even with their limp. He took another deep breath, ignored the slight pain from his stab wound, and entered his new room.