[ 4. ]

❝ BOIL WATER.
COOK MACARONI.
  DRAIN. ❞

the human spoke to the old lady first. the conversation halted quickly when she told him she had been trapped there since she was a young girl.

after five more plates and two cups, he spoke over his shoulder to them.

"so, how long have you been here?"

"five months."

"oh."

they hummed in agreement. the boy's voice was soothing. it made their heat slow. it made them slack in their work.

"my name's hunk. well, that's what my friends call me. what about you?"

they didn't know their name. it was a side effect of the forgetting thing. they wondered if people walked around clueless on their home planet.

if they still had one.

"i don't know."

"oh," the boy, hunk, repeated.

"you can call me galavedzin, i guess."

"nice name, it kinda reminds me of a gala. maybe because gala is in the name," hunk rambled. "can i call you gala?"

galavedzin ignored the question. "what's a gala?"

"oh, they were these events on my home planet, earth. it was for fancy people, i probably wouldn't of gone to one if i had the chance. you would dance in big flowy dresses and tight suits, and drink champagne."

hunk suddenly turned completely to gala. he froze. they looked broken, lost, but nonetheless, beautiful.

gala got a closer look at his face. they had never seen a human this close, and they were sure they never would again. they wouldn't remember meeting one, at least.

"interesting," gala noted.

"yeah, yeah..." hunk eyes widened as he snapped back to attention. "so, i don't know if it's a rude thing to ask, but what exactly are you?"

"alive," they responded.

"i mean, what species?"

"i don't know."

"oh?"

"i tend to forget things."

"oh."

hunk frowned. gala didn't want him to stop talking. they liked his voice. it was the most relief they'd gotten in... well, five months, apparently.

"tell me more about earth things."