Unbreakable Love

Chapter One

Run. I feel the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Faster. I ran faster toward the oncoming woods. They were dense and dark, but it was better than being out in the open.

I ran until I thought my lungs would burst. I was gasping for air when, I heard a rustling in one of the bushes near the tree I was leaning against. I heard a low guttural sound coming from it. It almost sounded like laughing. I closed my eyes and quieted my breathing. I couldn't think straight, but I had to try to. I had to try to get away from it.

I opened my eyes again and, in horror, saw it right in front of me. He laughed that same guttural laugh. 

"You've given me quite the chase, Kitty."

I screamed as he brought a large, butcher knife into the air and watched as it started coming toward me. He just laughed as he saw the fear in my eyes. It made me sick, and I felt the hairs on my arms and neck rise again.

"Hailey!"

I woke up to my mom screaming my name from the doorway to my room. She looked at me with concern. I looked around in confusion. Everything was the way it was before I had fallen asleep the night before. I was in my room again and felt the sheets and blankets on my bed. I looked at my clock. It read 5 A.M. The sun was just starting to make it's way up into the sky.

"Hailey?" My mom asked again.

"Yes?" I said half-asleep.

"Are you okay? I heard you scream, and I thought-"

I cut her off. "Yeah, mom, I just had a bad dream I guess."

She sat with me for a few minutes after that, and hugged me. Then, she closed my door and went back to her room. I knew I wouldn't be able to get anymore sleep, so I got up and went to get something to eat.

After getting a bowl of cereal, I decided to grab my phone and turn on the TV. I flipped through the channels and ended up on Cartoon Network. It was a re-run of a show I used to watch, so I decided to check my texts and get on Instagram. I forgot it was 5 A.M., and ended up accidentally texting my boyfriend. "Oh well, he'll be up in a few hours anyway," I thought.