Chapter 38 - Dead Flowers And Used Band-Aids

Hello everyone! I am back from my trip and here with a new chapter! Yay!

School is ending in about three weeks (thank the lord) so that means more time to work on this story! Where the story is at now and where it's headed I'm about 99% sure that This book will be finished by the end of summer, and before I start another year of school.

I'm thinking about doing some kind of book Q&A where you can ask about the author or any question that you guys want when this story is over.

Anyways, I hope you guys enjoy this chapter and I'll see you at the end of this chapter. :)

All chapter are still unedited so please ignore any typos :)

song- Olivia O'Brien, Empty

~Jessica.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

-Kahlil Gibran

*************

A knock came from the other side of the bathroom.

"Come on Payton, please. We can talk about this."

I sat on the counter, just staring blankly at the wall. I already felt sick just knowing that I was in this city.

"Look, I'm sorry but can we please talk about this facing each other?"

I kept quiet.

Was I mad at Hunter? I don't know, maybe.

I didn't understand why he would want to bring me here, of all places. He knew generally what happened to me in this city to never want to come back, so why?

When I left this city, I had the intention to never come back. It wasn't just the bad memories that made me never want to be in Washington again in fact, the good memories haunted me more; they were the most painful to recollect.

"I'm going to give you five seconds, or I'm knocking this door down."

A scoff escaped my mouth.

"I heard that." Hunter let out a loud sigh. "I just want to see if you're okay."

Slowly, I got up, and walked over to the door. Unlocking it, I opened the door and looked up at Hunter.

A small, tentative smile appeared on his lips as he attempted to brush my cheek with his hand. I quickly turned away, and walked over to sit on the bed.

"Oh, come on Payton." I felt the bed dip beside me and Hunter placed a hand on my shoulder.

"Why would you bring me here?" I asked softly. "You know about why I left Washington."

"Yes, I know, and that's why I brought you back here."

"Why?"

"Because you need to stop running away." Hunter answered. "You need to face you past instead of avoiding it."

"I'm not avoiding anything," I argued. "I'm fine as I am."

"Says the one who couldn't go a night without having nightmares, the one who flinches at the smallest noises, the one who tenses up when anyone gets close."

"I'm getting better, I swear."

Hunter ran his fingers through his hair, "I believe that Payton, I can tell that you're healing." He paused. "But it's not enough."