To Be an Angel

When GenTwo awoke the next day, she was genuinely surprised by her surroundings. She whipped her head around, taking in the sunny bedroom through the sheer lavender curtains of the canopy bed she now sat in. As her gaze turned lower to observe the black silk comforter that covered her body which was clothed by the most comfortable pajamas she'd ever worn, she slowly recalled the events of the previous day. So, it hadn't been a dream.

   She turned her attention to the source of all this sunlight, which turned out to be a set of glass double doors that led to a small balcony. She had been so deep in thought the night before she hadn't noticed it. Curious, GenTwo got out of bed and stepped onto the balcony to get a look at the view it provided her with. She gasped a bit when she saw that she was now overlooking a vast garden, filled with vibrantly colored flowers of every conceivable hue. Lining the garden were blue and violet willow trees that filtered the morning light through their swaying leaves. A fountain of crystal clear water acted as a grand centerpiece. GenTwo couldn't help staring in awe. She hadn't seen trees or any other kind of plant since... since Serena was alive. 

   What was she doing? What would Serena say if she saw her like this? Probably something horrible. She could imagine her at her side now, small enough to be crushed by her hand, yet an intimidating figure nonetheless. She envisioned her stern face, her eyes failing to hide the pain of betrayal.

   "I'm sorry," GenTwo whispered to her. "I-I can't. She can't die here."

   "Are you going to let something like that stop you?" the ghostly image asked her.

   "But... but how can I-"

   "Do you not realize what I created you for? If you don't make Morrigeth pay, what reason do you have to exist?"

   These words echoed through GenTwo's head and her heart beat faster than she was sure it was supposed to. Her grip on the rail tightened. She felt sick, and she wasn't sure immortals could even get sick. She jumped at the sound of a knock on the bedroom door.

   "Gooooood morning!" Lilitha said cheerfully, head poked through the doorway.

   GenTwo resolved to ignore her darker thoughts for the moment. She'd figure out what to do about all of this when she had alone time. "Hi," she said flatly.

   Lilitha's smile managed to widen even farther than it already had been. She walked over to join GenTwo on the balcony. "It's beautiful, isn't it?"

   GenTwo nodded a bit. Lilitha reached for her wrist, but she pulled away just in time. "Stop doing that."

   "Oh, I'm sorry. I guess you don't like to be touched all that much, huh? It's okay, though! Anyway, breakfast is ready. Let's go!"

   The trip to the dining hall was surprisingly short. In fact, any trip within the palace seemed to take the same amount of time. One would think the building's size would make it easy to get lost in, but that wasn't the case at all, somehow.

   The dining hall was massive like everything else in the palace. It looked like a waste with only two people seated at the ridiculously long table. Esmarelda sat with her legs crossed, perfect posture befitting royalty. She drowsily stirred a cup of iced tea and tried her best to mask a yawn. Beside her sat Morrigeth, who hunched over a steaming coffee mug, hair in a messy bun that sat atop her head. She yawned soon after Esmarelda, though she took no care to hide it. Out of context, she looked as though she were ready to eat someone what with how many of her carnivorous teeth were showing. None of the other Angels were anywhere in sight.