Chapter 2

A heavy silence fell in the room. It was hard to believe. How her parents could give custody to a sister with whom she had an argument? Danielle’s eyes widened, wondering if the notary had been made a mistake. Lisa shook her head.

“You’re wrong,” she simply said. “It’s impossible.”

“I easily can show you the document if you want.”

“Are you sure?” Danielle added. “My sisters didn’t get along. So… how is this possible?”

“As I have said earlier, part of the testament was written after the birth of their daughter. Surely during this period, the sisters were still talking to each other. Additions and modifications were made thereafter.”

The young girl felt her heart clench. How her parents could forget to change this detail? She had never been a problem child, but she adamantly refused to live under the same roof as someone who hated her. Is this part of the will could be revoked or modified? Did she have rights, despite her age? She was about to ask the question directly when her aunt Danielle rebelled once again against the decision.

“Forget it; I’ll take her with me.”

“Look at that!” Lisa laughed. “You don’t even manage to take care of your own children. How will you do with that one while traveling?”

Danielle thought about it for a moment before replying:

“She could live with Alan when I’m traveling.”

“Big deal! You’re really going to leave her with your ex-husband? This poor girl doesn’t need to be part of your family drama.”

“What do you mean?”

“That your life is not stable! You travel all the time!”

“So what? Do you think I’m a bad mother?”

“You’re divorced. This is not a good example to children.”

“Two adults who spend their time arguing with each other, do you think it’s better home environment?”

It’s pretty much what you’re doing. Anika slowly crossed her arms over her chest, listening to her aunts arguing about everything and nothing. She would much rather live with Danielle or even Alan. She didn’t like Lisa and it was very mutual. Why her parents hadn’t changed it? Paul gave her a sad look. The young girl tried a smile that didn’t seem very convincing. Her uncle realized it. He walked towards her to hug her. This gesture was enough to silence her aunts. They turned to them, intrigued. Anika began to frantically beat her eyelids to keep herself from crying. It’s not worth it. Don’t cry. Don’t show them that you are weak. You’re not weak. Be stronger than them. Her technique worked. She comforted her uncle who sobbed in her arms. From the corner of her eye she could see Danielle quickly wiping her cheeks. She came to join her brother and niece while Lisa just shook her head.

“Group therapy,” she said with a grimace of disdain, “no thank you.”

“You might be able to show some compassion for once,” her sister retorted, sniffing.

The notary put a box of tissues for them before crossing his fingers on his desk. The social worker coughed, a little uncomfortable. She slipped on the sofa at the back of the room. When this moment ended, Paul grabbed a tissue before turning to Lisa.

“I didn’t know you had no heart,” he said before blowing his nose.

“Let me remind you I’m the one stuck with their daughter. So don’t tell me that I have no heart. Is that understood?”