Chapter 9

Jenny had taken possession of the sofa, refusing to go outside. She didn’t want people to see her like that. She was ashamed to move with crutches. What a tragedy! Martin was horrified at the idea of spending all day to respond to every whim of her sister. So it was Anika who took care of her. Of course, the injured girl took full advantage. She acted like she was the queen commanding her “subjects”. The young girl really wanted to strangle her, she who just wanted to be nice. At lunchtime, she made her a sandwich she brought her into the living room.

“You still could go out in the back”, Anika said, posing the plate on the coffee table. “You were right out yesterday afternoon.”

“And you can mind your own business, I’m thirsty.”

Anika sat, shaking her head.

“The day you pour me a salary to endure your temper, we’ll talk. By then, do it yourself.”

She moved away from her cousin along with Martin rose to the surface of the world. He dropped his plate and his glass on the counter. Anika asked him to rinse everything before leaving. He simply nodded before running. The bell rang. The young girl went to answer. Martin’s best friend stood before her, all smiling.

“Martin!” she said, walking away. “Do go out too late, please!”

Her cousin went with a bang before her, bowing and promising to return for dinner. In the street, she could see Kevin and his friends on the other side of the street. He waved her before joining her. She took the opportunity to get some fresh air and check the mail. They met in front of the post office box. Kevin was out of breath and sweaty. She pointed this out to him and he seemed embarrassed.

“We just returned from several races and… Sorry…”

“Who won this time?”

“I didn’t count. You’re okay? You look a little tired.”

“I’m fine, yes.”

“Still willing for tonight?”

She nodded. From the corner of her eye, she saw her cousin watching by the window. She rejoiced about it completely. That’ll teach her to take herself for someone else! They talked briefly; Kevin’s friends became very eager to pick up where they left off. He looked away, his cheeks red.

“I… I’m sending you a message later. Okay?”

She nodded, smiling at him. He walked a little further before dropping a kiss on the corner of her lips and heading back under the taunts of his friends. When the young girl turned around to go back into the house, she saw the angry expression on Jenny’s face. The storm is coming, I think. I’ll be entitled to a great storm! She took the two letters in the post box and went back inside. She was greeted by her cousin who had taken the trouble to get in balance with her crutches.

“He kissed you?”

“Yes, so what?”

“That’s disgusting! How can he do that?”

“Do I really have to draw you a picture?”

Jenny grimaced, shaking vigorously her head. Anika was preparing to move to her room when her cousin called her out.

“Something to add?” she threw with a sigh.

“He has a girlfriend. Did you know that?”

“A kiss, it doesn’t mean anything. Grow up, please.”

* * * * *

When Jenny’s friends arrived, Anika could finally breathe a sigh of relief. They retreated to the backyard, forgetting the girl’s presence. Anika could therefore do whatever she wanted without anyone bears her any attention. What a joy! Except they forgot that her room overlooked the backyard and her window was open. She could hear them talking about her. There wasn’t much to say, of course. But enough to make her angry. They really have nothing else to do? They don’t even know me! Jenny told them about the party she has been invited by Kevin. Her friends were shocked. How could she be invited?