Chapter 5

Anika slowly walked down the hall and headed for the front door. She hastened to move off to let the movers in, carrying an imposing sofa. Outside, Lisa barked her orders, coordinating each furniture or box. The young girl suppressed a smile when she heard two men carrying the couch mumbling an insult. No one will be surprised if a box fell on her head to silence her! She left the house, wondering where she could start. She didn’t have to think very long since Lisa took charge of it.

“Take this box,” her aunt said. “It goes into Jenny’s room.”

The girl rose up suddenly.

“Mom!” she exclaimed. “I don’t need her help to carry my stuff!”

“Then you should start doing it before your furniture will arrive.”

Jenny sighed deeply, playing the victim role to perfection. She took the box handed to her by her mother and headed home at a slow pace. Two movers approached the coordinator to ask her where this bed base should go. Lisa frowned, an expression of disdain on her face.

“What is this horror?”

“My bed,” Anika replied.

“Oh… Well, it’s up to you to tell them where you want it.”

The young girl explained to them where they should go. Lisa turned to her, a box in her hand.

“I think it’s your stuff in there. Go with them.”

Anika opened the way. She asked them to drop it somewhere without placing it. She would do it herself later, but they insisted on doing it for her. Shrugging, she told them that she wanted her bed.

“She doesn’t look too great, your mother,” one of the movers commented.

“She’s not my mother,” the young girl sighed, shaking her head.

“That explains the lack of resemblance between you two.”

She shrugged without answering. They returned all out to continue until Lisa makes a nervous breakdown. Everyone was carrying boxes inside the new house while the movers focused solely on the furniture. The squeak attracted the attention of the girl. She turned to three girls skipping along happily, clapping their hands. Jenny went to meet them, acting like them. Old girlfriends of Jenny… Their queen is back! They began to talk all at the same time, exchanging the stupidest stuff. Anika felt dizzy just to hear them. She passed the group to continue the transport of boxes more or less heavy. She noticed the girls were the classic teen group: there was the brunette, redhead, black all around the blond who was Jenny. Suddenly, the four girls stopped their chatter to watch the girl raised a box.

“Can you explain that?” the brunette threw while pointing.

“Since when do you have a sister?” the black asked.

Jenny looked up at the sky and sighed.

“She’s not my sister. Only my cousin.”

“Your cousin?” the redhead. “And what is she doing here?”

“She lost her parents so she’s going to live with us.”

“Oh!” the three girls groaned. “Your uncle and aunt are dead? How do you feel?”

Anika frowned, away from the group. They share the same brain! I hope it’s not contagious! She put the box into the kitchen and returned to the truck under the accusing eyes of the girls. As if it was her fault that their friend had lost family members! She preferred to ignore them. They approached her, led by Jenny. They barred her way.