Chapter 7

Panicked, Lisa carried her own daughter to the hospital without contacting the emergency services. Jenny had nothing very serious. A sprained ankle and a few scratches. When she regained consciousness, Anika had serious concerns regarding a possible concussion. Numerous tests proved otherwise. Five hours later, they were back at home. Mario hastened to yell for her irresponsibility for letting a twelve years old boy alone at home. His attitude changed when he saw his daughter. Lisa didn’t mention the shoplifting; the piece of clothing was completely damn anyway. Jenny asked for help to get to her room. She felt very tired.

“Are you sure you’re still alive?” her brother laughed.

“Shut up, asshole.”

Lisa sighed.

“You might be hurt, but that’s no reason to talk like that to your brother.”

“But he bothers me! Go play somewhere else!”

Mario suddenly took a stand. He ordered his son to go down to the basement and let his sister to rest. Then he helped his daughter to go to her room. Anika left, going to the car to unload what her aunt had bought. She put the boxes in the room where they were to be installed. She just wanted to be nice and give a helping hand after this… hectic afternoon…

Then she returned to her room to send a message to Kevin. As directed by Lisa, she wanted to know more details about the party organized by his friend. She still had promised to get her some information. She put the phone on the bedside table and turned to her albums. She reached inside and found a great photo taken at their wedding. She took it with a trembling hand. She stared at their happy faces. On the picture, they were drinking and looking into each other’s eyes. She looked up at the family photo that was still close to her lamp. She had forgotten to look for frames. She felt a tear slide down her cheek. She already started to forget? The thought horrified her more than anything. How was it possible? She didn’t want to forget them. Not now. It was much too soon. A sudden beeping told her that she had just received a message. She jumped, dropping the wedding photo.

She took the phone and looked at the screen before smiling, wiping her cheek. Kevin replied that the party took place two blocks from their homes the next day. She mentioned that she had to wait for the right time to ask for permission. There was a small family emergency… She gave no details. He replied that he hoped the answer will be yes.

“An optimist,” she said, shaking her head.

She picked up the photo and placed it near the other against the lamp. She promised not to forget next time. She wanted to preserve them as long as possible.

* * * * *

Jenny’s state seemed slightly better on the following day. She tried to go down the stairs with her crutches, but it was a critical failure. She slipped more than she went down. Martin tried to help her by withdrawing one of her crutches, but Lisa stopped him. She wanted to give her a hand. Her daughter refused with a simple growl.

“Did she hit her head?” Martin asked, getting away.

“It’s much more complicated than that,” Anika replied, laughing.

Mario gave her a dirty look, but she didn’t heed. Jenny sank heavily into a chair with a grimace. Lisa hastened to give her a pill against pain and to serve her an orange juice. Her daughter grunted a sort of thanks. They all became silent at the table Anika took a croissant just to annoy her uncle. After all, he didn’t want her to eat before receiving the allowance. Lisa rose to take the coffee pot and put it on the table. Mario poured himself a coffee, insisting that his son finishes his breakfast. Martin grinned he couldn’t take more.