Chapter 11

When Lisa returned home, her husband was eager to lock up with her in their room to be able to yell quietly. The closed door was useless because the whole house cam to hear them. Mario repeated to her that they couldn’t keep up with her because she needed a suitable support. Lisa replied that this wasn’t the case, Anika just needed to adjust to her new life. As expected, her husband didn’t agree with her point of view. The young girl leaned against the stairs, arms crossed over her chest. Martin was locked in the basement as he often did. Jenny was lying on the sofa. She put the volume up on the TV to no longer hear her parents. Anika went to join her with a deep sigh.

“You’ll get used to it,” Jenny muttered, changing channel.

“The scolding part or the one your father thinks I’m good to be locked in an asylum?”

Jenny raised her eyebrows, shrugging.

“No matter. You chose your favorite part.”

Upstairs, the tone rose again. Mario said that she had invented everything and had made herself those marks around her neck. According to him, she only wanted attention. She wanted people to have pity for her. lisa didn’t believed a word, but her husband seemed convinced. Anika closed her eyes and sighed deeply. He really doesn’t know me and doesn’t even attempt to do so. She wasn’t mad as her uncle claimed. The guy with the cap was real, even if no one else seemed to see him. The last few weeks haven’t been easy for her, but she hadn’t lost her mind! Her place in an asylum wasn’t booked yet. She invented nothing! She crossed her fingers and then leaned her chin on her clasped hands.

“Thank you for what you’re doing for me,” Jenny said shyly, her eyes still fixed on the TV screen. “It’s very nice of you.”

Anika frowned.

“Is this your drugs talking?” she asked.

“A little of both, I think.”

“Then keep taking them, please.”

“Why?”

“Because you’re much better when you take them.”

Jenny smirked, still looking at the screen. They remained silent for a moment, listening to the accusations and insults from the top floor. Eventually, Jenny increased again the volume on the TV without worrying about what could be on. It was only to stifle the sounds of the fight. The two girls were unable no to hear the rest of the conversation. Anika was able to hear that Mario thought she could become dangerous. He dared to say to Lisa he began to fear for their own safety! Do I need to hear this stuff? Her cousin seemed increasingly uncomfortable. She was still kind enough to say nothing. Upstairs, the tone rose again. There was a noise that cut short the silence. Then, a door suddenly closed and footsteps were heard on the stairs. Footsteps walked away toward the back of the house. Attentively ears could hear sobs. The young girl had an idea. She stood up and walked to the back of the house. Lisa stood before the glass door, her arms tight around her body. She sobbed silently. Anika went into her bedroom to take the handkerchiefs. She handed the box to her aunt. Lisa looked embarrassed. Avoiding looking at her, she took a tissue, thanking her.

“I have a solution to all your problems,” Anika said, deposing the box on her bedside table.

“What do you mean? What problems?”

Anika shook her head and sighed.

“There’s still time to save what is left of your marriage.”

“My… marriage is doing very well. Thank you.”

“What a liar!”

Lisa bowed her head as she entered the room. She didn’t want her children to hear their discussion. As if they ignored all your problems. The young girl gave her time to think about her proposal. Lisa smiled sadly when she saw the pictures on the nightstand. She took one of the frames in her hands to have a better look at the picture. The one with the three sisters… I thought she hated her sisters.