Episode 14: Awaken

*Manuel*

I open my eyes and am greeted by Adriana who waits anxiously. She waves, prompting me to wave back.

"Good morning," I say, smiling. She stretches out her hand and helps me rise from the pod. Every muscle of my body aches as if I were an old man. I even check myself in the reflection on the pod's lid to see that I hadn't aged. "Phew. Still look the same."

Though... it's kind of odd seeing my true self after being in the world for that long.

"Let's go home," I say.

Adriana nods joyfully.

"Here's your check," says a red haired young man, giving both of us red checks and some pamphlets. "Thanks for being a part of our trial. On that pamphlet is information that will allow you to become accustomed to the real world. Especially physically. That includes a pass to the gym."

I look the guy up and down. He has on different clothes but everything else about him is exactly like Lua's brother. From the hair color to the cocky grin, and even down to the stance.

"S...sol?"

He smiles before he turns around. "See you in a few days!"

I stumble after him but nearly collapse to the ground if not for Adriana gripping my arm. She allows me to support myself on the handles of her wheelchair until we reach the front door.

"Brother!" Jasmine voice resonates. Suddenly she tackles me as soon as I came out of the game shops. "I missed you so much! I didn't think that you would begin the test so soon. So, how much did you get?"

"Stop that. You're embarrassing me," I say, stepping away. "Anyway. Here's my check."

She snatches it from me. "Woah. Six-hundred dollars! And for having fun too!" sister screams.

I glance down at the light grey sidewalk. Recalling how day 2 had gone. "Not all was fun and games." Oh how I wish that things could've been fun. I never did figure out if Iv was a regular NPC or not. Lua wasn't, so then where Iv might not be one too.

"Well, how about we have some fun?" sister asks. "You promised me that you would repay me back if you got the job."

"Oh right. I promised you to visit that amusement part. Can we save that for later? I know. Let's go to the mall."

She narrows her eyes before smiling. "That's odd. You hate the mall. But fine. You do seem somewhat tired." She pauses. "Oh. I see. You plan to go to sleep while I'm shopping."

"Maybe," I respond, chuckling. I glance at the pamphlet and move my twitching arms. The brochure mentions a gym that's free for beta players. "I'm going to work out. At least until my body doesn't feel like jelly."

"Ha! Your body always feels like jelly when you work out. But fine." She puffs up her girlish chest. "I can take care of myself."

Adriana signals something.

"Sure, you can come with us," sister answers her.

"You got to teach me," I say.

Sister gives me a knowing look and my face flushes bright red.

"It's not what you're thinking."

She shrugs. "I didn't even mention what I'm thinking. But nice job giving yourself away."

Damn. Why couldn't she be as bright as the other kids her age? She's far too smart for her own good.

*???*

I open my eyes and am greeted by a young man with bright red hair. "You did well, brother," the young man says. However, he lacks his usual smile.

"How's our sister doing?" I ask, sitting up and sweeping my long hair back. I grab a pair of clothes wrapped in plastic to my right. I had left them there days ago for when I awoke.

The red-head turned around, glancing at the silver pod to my left. "She hasn't woken up. It appears that her mind is disarray. If we wake her up now, she won't recall a thing. And not only about Heaven's Sword, but memories from reality too."

I button up my white dress-shirt and glance outside of the windows. Walking out of the store is a girl who greatly resembles Adriana. She even had a wheelchair.

"You recognize her too, huh?" brother asks. "That's the same girl who was in that guild." His eyes shifted toward the boy accompanying her. "Anyway. You should take this time to stretch. It has been a week since you last awoke, over twice as the other beta testers."

I nod. "Alright. I'll be heading out to the gym. Please watch over our sister."

My brother glances back at the pod. "Sure thing. I'd watch over her until mother arrives."

I spin around. Mother. She must've known that this would happen. So why did she have us be in the game at this time? What is she thinking?

"Thanks," I say, grabbing my backpack from the ground. "Call me when she does." I put on a black blazer and headed for the elevator. I stop and take a moment to look back at the guy who Adriana was with. That boy, just who is he? I sense a part of my sister within him.

I shake my head. Probably is nothing... unless if that guy is...