o n e

I sat on my porch, looking at the night sky. I know I wasn't supposed to be out this late, but I like the night time. It's relaxing. The porch light was on, giving me enough light to see so I could draw in my notebook my mom got me. I was grateful for it.

I looked up, hearing the engine of a car coming closer. I furrowed my eyebrows and watched as the car pulled up to the house that was connected to mine. I tightened my jacket around me as two men exited the vehicle, one was man looked to be in his 30's and the other looked to be in his late teens to early twenties. They both walked up to the house, boxes in their hands and not looking around, just straight forward.

I noticed the boy's was head was down, his curl hair covering his eyes. I examined him, noticing he was barefoot. It's almost below zero, where are his shoes? I asked myself.

I heard their small talk from where I was sitting, I didn't hear the actual words but I heard their voices. The man's was rough and not that deep. The boy's was deep and raspy. It sent shivers down my spine. The man opened the door and walked in quickly, must've been tired of the cold. Suddenly, the boys eyes connected with mine. I looked down immediately.

"You know, it's not good to be out this late." The boy said to me, staying at the front door. I nodded, mumbling "I know."

It was quiet for a few more seconds before he started talking again, "I wouldn't be out this late anymore." I looked up but he wasn't there anymore. What? I decided not to ask, they would be busy unloading their boxes. I leaned back on my house and looked at my drawing, it was a picture of an eye. I reached down, picking up a color pencil. I didn't care about the color, I just wanted to finish it. Lightly, I started coloring in the drawing; making sure I didn't mess up.

I scrunched up my face as I brought my hand to the front of my face, its too bright. I thought as I opened my eyes and looked around. I'm outside. "I must've fell asleep.." I mumbled, getting up from the porch. I gasped when I heard what sounded like a splatting noise.

I looked down seeing my note book on the ground, I picked it up and looked at the drawing. It was the eyes, colored in red. I examined the every detail, "I can add more later.." I commented. My eyes scanned the paper and I furrowed my eyebrows, confused when I noticed a little note was in the corner of the paper; it was perfect cursive.

Wonderful drawing love, but you should take my advice and not to stay out late. -H.S.

He looked at my drawing, I never let anybody look at them. I furrowed my eyebrows and looked at the house, there is blankets covering the two windows making the house look abandoned. I shook my head and picked up my pencil pouch before walking in the house and going to the bathroom.

After my shower, I walked into my room and got out my outfit. I sighed, I don't want to go to school. All the people there hate me. I don't know why, I honestly don't. I quickly changed into my clothes and grabbed a hair tie, putting my hair in a ponytail and grabbing my book-bag.

"The faster I get there, the faster I can get back." I mumbled walking out to the kitchen. I sighed, seeing my mom at the kitchen table asleep. Her check books were out and bills were all over the table. I walked over to the cabinet and got a cup, filling it with water and setting it in the microwave. Pressing 3, I went over to one of the jars and got a tea packet out. Hot tea always helps my mom. The microwave beeped suddenly and I went over taking the cup out and setting the tea bag in, watching as the tea started to mix with the hot water. It was fascinating honestly.

I put three tablespoons a sugar in the cup and a little milk. I walked over to my mom, mixing it all together and set it next to her.

"Mom.. wake up, it's.." I looked at the oven, "Almost seven." My mom sat up, she looked like a zombie. "I made you some tea, Now I have to go. Love you mom." I said calmly, kissing her cheek and walking out the house. She's been like this ever since my father left, I don't know why he did. But all I know is, one day I came home from school and all his stuff was gone and my mom was at the from door on her knees, sobbing.

"Oh look, fat-ass didn't kill herself yet." Lexi said, popping her spearmint gum. I sighed, She always has a rude comment to say about me. Her friends snickered as she walked up to me, slamming my locker. I jumped, looking at her. "Why aren't you dead yet? Don't you realize nobody cares?" She asked, rudely. I didn't say anything, I know that's the only thing she wants. I turned away, ready to walk but stopped once a sharp pain shot through my arm. I gasped and turned, seeing Lexi's nails digging into my skin. "Answer me when I'm talking to you!" she demanded, tightening her grip. "Answer me." she sneered. 

"I don't know.." I mumbled, pulling my arm away. A stinging sensation was left on my arm, I looked at my arm again, seeing long scratches, and thin lines of blood appearing where her nails were. "Look everybody! Freak show is a cutter!" Lexi yelled, smirking at me. My eyes widen, I looked around, some people looked at me with pity, others looked at me as if I was a freak. My eyes started to water as I turned and quickly ran to the lost and found, hoping I could find a jacket to hide the so called cuts Lexi gave me.