CHAPTER TWO: CHIEF JIM HOPPER

THE (FINALLY) HAPPY LIFE OF EL BYERS-HOPPER
CHAPTER TWO: CHIEF JIM HOPPER

-----------------

Chief Jim Hopper, her own father, loves his daughter. He knew it was wrong for him to cheat on his first wife. But, after Sarah passed and the boys found El. He brought her into his heart and his home.

-----------------

31st October - 1st November 1984

Jim had found El wandering the woods, only days after her disappearance and the Demogorgon's death. He'd taken her to the old cabin he built with his brother in his 20s. He kept a wooden box filled with Eggos and Sarah's old story books. His heart broke seeing his daughter's old books, but El was his 1st born (it may have hurt to cheat on his first wife, but seeing El with the boys made a dead overprotectiveness reappear). He'd gotten a phone call of Nancy Wheeler, simply saying "She's back,"

When Jim saw her after she came home, was the next morning. El was fast asleep in her blanket fort at the Wheeler's, with Mike hovering over her as she peacefully slept.

"Wheeler," Jim put his hand on Mike's shoulder. "Give her some room to breathe." Mike did move back just a little bit.

"It's just, what if I look away and then she's gone?" Mike asks, looking away from the girl in her fort and to his lap. "It happened last time,"

"Nothing in her power, or mine, or anybody else's is going to tear her away from you. I can see the way you look at her, and the way she looks at you." Jim gave a half smile. Jim knew from the second he laid eyes on El, that she was his daughter and - from the way Mike looked at El - the boy before him was going to be his son-in-law.

And Jim wasn't going to stop either of them, wanting to see both El and Mike happy.

-----------------

7th November 1989

He sat on his seat, his hand tightly wrapped in Joyce's as El and Mike exchange their vows. 4-year-old Jake Byers-Hopper sat in Joyce's lap, fiddling with her dress as Mike and El's wedding rings are sat on a cushion on his lap.

Jim could see the love written on their faces and in their eyes. It was obvious to an outsider how much one loves the other.

He knew since day one how Mike fell completely head over heels for his daughter, Jim knew that the Wheeler kid meant well by being with El.

By one look at Mike to El, she was his whole world, the universe, the reason why he continues to live. To El, he was her saviour and her future.

-----------------

Published: Tuesday 25th July 2017
Word count: 462 words