The Origins of the Boy Who Became the Writer

Chapter 13: The Origins of the Boy Who Became the Writer

Leon Ray M. Aguilar was born on a midsummer night in a hospital in a big city. His story did not start with his birth, though. Like most people, Leon's story started long before he was born. Twenty years before his birth, to be exact.

Odessa Aguilar was born into a poor family. Her family was fortunate to have her, the fifth of what would be seven children, for Odessa was smart. Odessa was the smartest in their clan, and the prettiest among her sisters. Of her siblings, she was the only one to make it to the fourth year of college, thanks to a scholarship grant. She was on the way to graduating with a degree in Chemistry when she met Luis Avenida.

Luis was, to put it simply, perfect. He was rich, smart, quite good-looking, and a gentleman. He was fairly new to Odessa's neighborhood but everyone was instantly charmed by the smiling young man. Odessa was bewitched. After a month-long period of friendship, the two became a couple. Odessa would later say that those were "the best of times, and the worst of times." The couple was inseparable during Odessa's semestral break. Luis took a leave from his job at a nearby law firm just to spend more time with Odessa.

The following Christmas brought an unexpected gift to the Aguilar family. Odessa was pregnant, and Luis was no doubt the father. After some weeks of doubt, the family and the couple decided to keep the baby. Luis was an able provider, and Odessa was about to finish college, anyway. It was like a Cinderella story, Odessa's little sister once said.

It was the best of times, followed by the worst of times. Odessa lost her scholarship. Luis lost his job. The wedding, planned for the summer after Odessa's graduation, was moved two months earlier. The couple moved into Luis' little house and started looking for jobs.

This was the world that Leon was born into. It was a tough sort of life unlike the one his parents had originally planned for him.

A year after he was born, little Devon came along. By this time the magic and romance between Odessa and Luis was growing pale. The family got poorer, the fights became more frequent, and by the time Leon started school, Luis had started looking for something, someone more satisfying.

Leon was christened Leon Ray A. Quintos, but after Luis left the family when Leon was only ten years old, Luis and his mother used the name 'Aguilar.' Devon was the only one to continue using Quintos.

It wasn't only a name or a father that Leon had lost. He had lost his playmate, his companion, and his first inspiration.