Chapter 57: Familial Requests

London, England, December 6, 1941

Dear Arthur,

Africa has been pretty hot. I wouldn't be surprised if you've been down here already, but I sure would like the company. I have a lot of company, but I miss my old pals back home. You count for that, you know. I work in a tank now, but Hell's Fire is a mess. Halfaya Pass technically. That's what it's supposed to be called, but we call it Hell's Fire Pass because of all the snipers there. Either way, we have control of a lot of villages, and when we're not fighting, things are nice enough.

Elizabeth would have loved to see the place. I have to take her and Hugh to the pyramids sometime. I've yet to see them myself. I'm sure we all ought to see them. If Josie and Teresa could leave. You've probably seen them already.

Ah, I ought to stop rambling. I've been getting letters from Elizabeth. I just want to let you know that they miss you. You might not have gotten her letters, but everyone there needs you to come home. I hate to tell you to do anything, and you don't have to listen to me, but you should. We're all upset about Marie having to leave us. All of us. If I have to leave this god forsaken desert to tell you, I will.

Arthur, you aren't alone. Please go home.

Sincerely, Joshua Thomas

oOoOo

Arthur stood in the parliament hallway. His hands, worn and oddly tanned, gripped onto the sandy paper that made up the letter. He could feel himself surrounded in some sort of surprise. He hadn't received many letters from Joshua. The man was far too busy in Libya to write letters, that was what he had said.

So this letter, with its plea, made him wonder.

Snow had fallen once again in London. By the time it had started getting cold in Greece, Heracles had told him it would be best if he went home. Not a brutal let down, like what Seamus had said, a mere suggestion.

"You should see Francis. And Matthew. I'm sure they are worried and... you've taken out more targets then we ever needed. I wouldn't mind if you returned, but I'm sure you have things to do back home."

Heracles had an odd sheen in his sea-blue eyes as he said this, knowing. Lovino had been passed out in the cot in the next room, and the night had been dark, cold enough that they'd needed to shut the back facing windows after shooing all the cats inside.

And so, Arthur had taken his honorable leave.

"What are you doing, Cher?" A soft hum resounded from beside him, and Arthur felt himself tense, his wings moving habitually, before he turned to glance up at Francis. He looked better. Far better then he had in ages. He had energy again, a small smile in his eyes though his mouth was still to weary to do so. The blisters he had gained from the occupation of his lands were beginning to heal, to scab over ever so slowly, though Arthur doubted they would disappear any time soon.

Finally, Arthur replied with a small sigh. "A lot of thinking."

The winged Frenchman pursed his lips, either worriedly or knowingly.

"I don't think asking you what its about would help."

"No... no. Not really." Arthur folded the letter and put it in his pocket, rubbing his temple. "I have to go somewhere."

"I can come with you, if it would help."

Arthur cast a glance at the man, his brow furring confusedly.

Francis let out a huff of resignation. "You're going to the church, aren't you?"

When Arthur didn't reply, the man's shoulders slumped, his feathers tracing about on the floor. "We all need someone to come crying to, whether we like it or not. That's why I've been here. I haven't had anything to do but feel hurt, the best I can do is relieve you of yours."

"...I wouldn't mind it." The shorter of the two responded softly. "But I think it would be best if you stay outside."

"Oui. As you wish."

There was a small pause between the two, and Arthur took in a small breath, moving slowly into the cot stuffed room to snatch his coat from the couch, which still faced the window. He could see outside, Matthew and Alfred kicking about in the snow. They took the appearances of seventeen year old, young men. And they acted like it, surely.

Francis wasn't behind him, pulling his feathers through a heavy trench coat he had somehow acquired. They pulled on their boots and their scarves, and their gloves, and made their way out towards the staircase to the roof. Their march up the stairs was quiet.

The roof itself was heaped with snow, and the two didn't make it far before they were up to their calves in the stuff. Francis shoved the door shut once more, and the two rose to the graying sky like specters from the trees.

Arthur could feel his feathers growing bitterly cold as they floated over the city, bleak and grey and still barely putting itself back together. He could see the cathedral's roof over the rooftops, and he made his way towards it in an air of defeat. He didn't want to face them, but he had to. He couldn't hide forever, he knew that, because before he knew it, they would be gone.

Like Marie.

He took a breath, glancing back at Francis indecisively. He couldn't tell what he was thinking behind that scarf. As they came to a halt, slowing and hovering down in front of the doors, Arthur noticed how badly the door had been banged up from when the house across the street had been destroyed. His nervousness almost overwhelmed him, eating away at his stomach and coiling in his throat. Their feathers kicked up snow as they landed, and he could feel his toes growing numb in the cold.

He stopped, turned a reddened, cold bitten face to Francis, who nodded slowly, brow upturned. There was a small, silent worry there, a trust, a reassurance. It was hard to believe that they had once been enemies.

Arthur turned, extending a fast to knock lightly on the door. He heard it echo, and he heard hurried footsteps inside.

And the door creaked open. 

Hello dear readers! Ah, I'm finally back in the groove again

Hello dear readers! Ah, I'm finally back in the groove again. Things are going to go fantastic! That is, until I have to leave for about a week this upcoming month, but I'll have things ready for when I return. On a small side note... I started Pacific, the sequel to this novel, about Alfred and the Pacific Front. The prologue is up and I would really appreciate it if you guys could check it out! Thank you so much, and make sure to tune in next time!