Chapter 4

VIENNA, AUSTRIA 

THE FIRST PERFORMANCE OF LUDWIG VAN BEETHOVEN'S

NINTH SYMPHONY

 May 7, 1824

I took a seat in the balcony of The Imperial and Royal Court Theater of Vienna. The hall was packed tonight on the account that this was the first performance in twelve years of a nearly deaf Beethoven. The crowd was eager and anticipation swelled in the air.

Usually, I do not participate in activities that involve large crowds, but today I made an exception. I had to see--hear this man's beautiful art. The balcony was the best choice for me, being that I had heightened hearing and sight and I wanted to be as isolated as possible.

I licked my teeth, getting rid of the residue of the blood I just drank from a women on my way up here. Her blood was rather sweet; she tasted like a virgin.

Liem takes a seat beside me and the orchestra begins the symphony, the slow rhythm of the woodwind instruments filled the air. "Did you miss me, love?" He whispers in my ear and runs his fang along my earlobe.

"I wish I could feel you," I say, my voice a hush.

"You will. One day we will break this wretched curse and live our lives--together--as humans, and we will grow old and die,"

I let out a small laugh while turning my attention to him, and he grimaced.

"What?" I ask.

"Clean it up," He touches the corner of his mouth, mimicking my stain. I touch the corner of my mouth to find blood, a small drop running down my middle finger leaving a red trail behind. I wipe my mouth with the back of my hand. "Act like a lady," I hear Liem hiss at me.

"What?" I reply, the music grew more aggressive, the drums and trumpets expressing my anger for me. I can't remember the last time Liem really made me happy, he constantly belittled me, always wanting me to be submissive. He knew that would never be, instead he always tried to lower my self esteem.

"You heard me," He pronounced every word sternly, "Act like a lady." He repeated. The words stabbed into my chest.

"I will never be good enough, will I?" I ask, sadness replacing my rage.

He looks down at the orchestra completely ignoring my question, disgust on his face. I return my view to them as well, unfazed by Liem's causticness. Suddenly, he wasn't good enough for me either, and I despised myself for putting up with the misery that has become. I would have left right there, but I needed to stay for this moment. This was history in the making, if anything, I would appreciate the fine arts.

The music was rapid now and in the midst of it, I lean towards him, my eyes still on the orchestra, "Remember that when your burning in the depths of Hell, alone."

We stayed silent the remainder of the performance, not even looking in each other's direction.

At the end, the crowd cheered, showing endless admiration for Beethoven. Unable to hear the applause, he faced the orchestra, still conducting. Just a few measures off. A woman then walked over to him and turned him to accept the applause, and the crowd went livid; throwing hands, hats and handkerchiefs in the air to show Beethoven, who could not hear, the credit and up most respect he deserved. He bowed, overwhelmed and shocked by the reaction, but happiness and satisfaction clearly on his face.

I smiled for Beethoven and a little for myself, glad that I didn't allow Liem to ruin this glorious moment in time.

                                                                             • • •