Chapter 5

I remember when Liem and I were hunting once, I attacked a wolf and it yelled in pain, causing it's pack to come searching for it. Once they came, they circled me, growling and revealing their canines, threatening an agonizing death. There were six of them and I was a rather young vampire, and I didn't master any fighting techniques at the time. I called out for Liem and he appeared in seconds. Once he came, he threw his body towards the wolves and they clawed and bit at him. It didn't matter because Liem fought back, breaking necks, jaws and backs. He didn't stop until he killed every last one. This was one out of the many times Liem has saved my life. He wasn't just controlling and selfish was he? Whenever I was in danger, he always showed up just in time and never even stopped to think of himself. There wasn't only bad times, but, there were also very little good. Did I really have the heart to kill Liem? Did I really have to? I knew Liem would never leave me alone if I left him and I know he'll kill Darrell--if he didn't already--so I guess I know the answer to that question. How do you kill all that you have?

As soon as we pulled up in front of the hospital, I ran out of the taxi, a thousand thoughts racing through my head about what state Darrell is in. "Hey!" I hear the driver yell behind me. What could he possibly want? I stop and turn to him. "That'll be twelve dollars,"

Oh, I had to pay.

I'll miss the perks of nobility. "I'm sorry." I say while walking back to him and searching in my bag. "Here you are," I hand him the money and he speeds off, but not before he shoots me a death glare. Whatever.

I begin to walk towards the entrance of the hospital, I stare at the transparent doors, the ambulance trucks highlight them with their red, blue and white lights. Darrell is probably somewhere in there. My God, what if he's dead? I tried to keep the thought out of my mind, but it was all I could think of on my way here. The guilt was eating me alive. I pushed through the doors and entered the lobby. Men and women in white robes strolled by and I saw a few people sitting in the waiting area. I hear muffled cries two floors above. I see a curly haired woman sitting behind a booth and I approach her, "I need to know if there's a patient here by the name of Darrell Waters," I ask, wasting no time. "Well, hello to you too young lady." She says with sass. Why is everyone giving me a hard time tonight? "It's an emergency!" I yell at her, my patience out the window. A few people look in our direction.

A small sigh escapes her lips and she turns to her computer. I tap my foot on the floor as she types and clicks and I swear this is taking forever. She looks at me. "Is he?" I ask pitifully. "Yes, he's in the ICU, but only family members can see him right now."

"I'm his cousin," I say without hesitation.

She rolls her eyes, "Do you have Identification?"

"I have a college ID," I say while pulling it out of my jeans. I hand it to her and she squints while reading it. "Good enough. He's in room 124 on the forth floor."

"Thank you so much," I say and I run towards the elevator. I press the button and I wait. I look at the numbers light up as the elevator gets closer and closer.

8...7

What if he's dead?

...6

My God, he can't be dead.

...5...4

Please don't be dead.

3...2

I don't know what I would do.

Ding.

The elevator doors open and I practically jump in. I press four and the doors shut. The elevator rises up with a slight jerk. This whole thing was just killing me. If I was human, my nerves would have had me shaking and sweating my ass off.