Chapter 7

Darrell and I dropped Raphael's body over a bridge later that night. I decided to bury Liem in the back of the castle in Sheffield. I thought about burying him with my family because in a way, he was like my family too. Besides me, the castle was all he had in this world and he loved it so much; it seemed like the better choice. We decide to leave tomorrow night.

When Liem turned me, he told me I couldn't see my parents anymore, but I would sneek to see them and watch them sleeping in their beds late at night. I know my disappearance must have crushed them, and it killed me to know that they were less than twenty miles away from Liem's castle. I would often leave money or game in front of their door, so they wouldn't live in poverty. For so many years I wanted to knock on that door, to see them face to face. I watched them grow old and die (Not entirely old, my mother died first at 49 and my father died at 52) and I didn't even say goodbye. This is what made me resent Liem most, but I guess I couldn't blame him entirely. I didn't want to do the same to Darrell, so I decided to give him choices: he could A) spend a few years with his family before they noticed he isn't aging, B) say one final goodbye, or C) just leave. When I asked him what he wanted to do, he replied, "When I was in the hospital, they called my parents back in Brooklyn and told them I wasn't going to make it." He pauses. "Well, I left the hospital so I don't know what they told them by now. They probably think I'm missing or dead. I want it to stay that way."

I understood. How do you tell your parents that your cursed? How do you tell them that your a blood thirsty monster? Will they accept you? That is why almost every vampire never returned to their families. Fear of the unknown, fear of rejection.

In the morning, Darrell told me what room his drug dealer lived in, and I raided the room and stole all of his weed. I brought back what seemed like pounds of hemp in my bag and Darrell laughed like a child in a candy store. "You really did it," he said smiling his wide smile. He picked up one of the giant air tight bags, "You really fucking did it!"

He rolled a few joints and I tried to roll one too, but it wasn't as perfect as his. "Let's just smoke that one last," I say with a small laugh. I had plenty time to learn how to roll better. I leave to get some glasses of blood and when I return he says, "I love you too, Paige," and I freeze. The two glasses remain in my hands and I stare at him, speechless. "I heard you, you know, in my mind." he explains.

"Yeah," I say not feeling very articulate.

"I left a few minutes after you left, I couldn't just wait to find out if you died or not."

"Good thing you did," I say remembering how close Liem was to ripping my head from my body.

I hand Darrell his glass and I watch him drink. "Why didn't you tell me?" I ask him. He knows what I'm referring to. His heroin addiction.

His eyes flash up to mine, and he wipes his mouth. He exhales and rubs his hand on his knee. I could sense his discomfort. "Because I didn't want you to know, I was ashamed. When your ashamed of things, you either keep it to yourself or you lie about it," He takes another sip of the blood. "Only the people who are truly at peace with themselves are ready to admit the bad things they've done or do; when they're ready to move on, or when they can't hold it in any longer."

"I wasnt ready to move on and I was ashamed. I was ashamed because I couldn't free myself from my addiction."

"You're free now," I say, but he wasn't entirely free, he was now cursed to spend eternity on this earth in the dark of the night. Well, at least until he turns three hundred and he could perform the spell. "You can forget about that," I say while resting my glass on the table. It was half way done and I was already full. When I turned back he sat a couple of inches closer to me. I jumped a little. "I guess I am," he says and he kisses my lips. Time melts away and we are in our own little existence, our own realm in the universe. Darrell pulls me closer and we move more aggressively, but oh-so passionate at the same time. He ripped open my black long sleeve shirt and I scratched his back, tearing his plain white tee. He grunted, but I knew it wasn't because he felt pain, but because of this moment of passion. I unbuttoned his jeans while I wiggled out of mine. He spins me over quickly and slides them off effortlessly. He takes off his shirt and I see his chiseled bodice. God, he was stunning, too bad he couldn't sweat anymore, that would have made him look even sexier. Every cut in his muscles were now deeper, and I can't stress enough about how flawless he is. He crawls back on top of me and lightly kisses the bridge of my nose. "I love you, Paige," he whispers. "And I you." I say to him, and I kiss his lips.