Chapter 2

After Scottie burned to the ground, there was pandemonium.  Everyone screamed in horror and some fled from the scene. Others were so drunk and out of it, they didn't even know what on earth happened. Myself, on the other hand, stood paralyzed. No one knew how or why Scottie burned to ashes right before our eyes except me; I had accidentally turned him into a vampire when I fed, so drunk and careless of my mistake. I stood staring at the gray pile of ashes that use to be Scottie and the brown haired girl sobbing hysterically over them. She scooped up ashes in her hand and watched as they seeped through the spaces between her fingers.

"No no no," she cried, you can hear the despair in her voice, "How the fuck did this happen!" She placed her face in her palms again and continued to weep.

"Paige," Darrell cried from behind. He turned me around to face him, and confusion was plastered across his face. He was unaware of what happened, what I've done.

"I....I.." My eyes searched the room and words were unable to leave my mouth,  how was I suppose to tell him his friend has just burned to the ground? A pang of guilt ran through me, and if I could, I would have burst into tears right then and there.

"Paige!" Darrell yelled and shook me, "What. Happened. To. Scottie."

"He's dead!" I yell wildly, "He's dead! He burned to the ground! He's gone!"

"What? So it's true, then?"

"Yes, his ashes are over there," I said weakly.

Darrell walked pass me to observe what was left of his friend. The one who's death I was responsible for. I known I should have waited to feed, I knew it! But I just couldn't help myself,  I was already hungry and he just kept messing with me and I reacted without thinking.  Poor bloke, no one deserved to die an agonising death as that one. A vampire burned to ashes by the sun is by far the most painful thing you could ever imagine. For God's sake, I tried not to kill him and he dies anyway...the irony! I couldn't stand facing Darrell again, so I ran out the house to go to my dorm. The yard was still filled with party goers, some were crying, still shocked at what just happened. No one seemed to be paying attention to me, so sped away using my super speed, not really caring about who would see me or say something.  My only focus was to get away from here as quickly as possible, away from the caous that I created.

AS SOON AS I made it to my dorm I locked the doors, and pulled all the curtains across the windows. I wasn't going to leave this room until classes started, and no one was coming in, not even Darrell. Well, maybe Darrell; on the condition I killed his friend and all. I paced the room trying to think back to when I fed off Scottie. In order for a vampire to turn a human, they would have to drink from them and insert their venom into the human's blood stream. I possibly could have done that, being that I was drunk, and I did drink from him rather sloppily. I didn't have enough time to think of my actions, all that was on my mind was to hurry and not get caught. How else could this have happened? There is no way Scottie was a vampire; he wasn't pale, he sweated, and he had a beating heart, I felt its pulse while my fangs were deep in the flesh of his neck.

I decided to finally start unpacking my suitcase to get my mind off things, quite impossible,  but what else did I have to do? I decided to unpack the smallest suitcase first, the one with pictures and memorabilia of me and Liems life. I had 3 daguerreotypes, which were pictures formed on a highly polished silver and sealed with glass and paper tape for preservation. This was one of the first forms of photography.  There was a portrait of Liem and I, and the other two were self portraits, one of Liem and one of myself. I lined them across the table, and suddenly the place felt more homey. I took out an amulet, given to me on my three hundredth birthday by Garaban, the most powerful, wisest and oldest vampire. This amulet gave me protection from all evil--humans included. I wrapped it around the door knob just as I did back home so my room would be protected.  Although it was around the door knob, no one could enter the premises from the windows, air vents, holes in the wall or anywhere. They would be evaporated instantly. I didn't think I would need protection, I just wanted to keep reminders of who I am.