Blade

The summer was about ready to begin and it was already unbearable when the river began to dry faster than we anticipated. Flitter watched over her sleeping young one night. I was nearby, watching them too. Something was stirring within me, either it was worry, fear... whatever it was, but it made me glad to see her feel safe. Even though I was hardly near her as her chicks grew, Molt and I wouldn't have gotten this chance. I wasn't the same nymph anymore. I usually kept my thoughts to myself, but there was still that same thing I knew Molt couldn't stand. I was rough, I enjoyed being alone much of the time. Getting the know them made me change my mind and doubt that all a grasshopper could do was live for themselves, even with the hope of not working a day in their lives. There was more to it than that. So much more.

We've spent our entire nymph days with them and now we were both full grown. Molt's last words to me still stung. I didn't think I deserved it, but I deeply wanted him to at least forgive me. I didn't know why. He didn't have to, of course. The least I wanted for him was to get killed somehow. I barely felt guilty about these things... but now I did.

Flitter may have been to blame. She was always there to get us out of trouble, and then I would fly into it again. I flew to her perch, landing gently when I saw that she was half way in torpor. She slightly turned her head to my sounds and fluttered her wings a little. I had some good news to give her.

"Hopper. There you are, you almost scared the feathers off me..." she spoke.

"Don't I always, mam?" I chuckled, leaning casually against a small branch nearest to me.

"How I know it! So, how have you been? I know Emerald has been a little ... difficult lately."

"He's difficult?" I smirked and she laughed. "Partially that can be my fault."

"Don't take too much credit, Hop." she chuckled as she stretched.

"I've been okay." I finally answered her inquiry, unnerved.

"Just okay?"

"Emerald and I had a little talk earlier."

"Did you...?"

I found it hard to get the words out. I scanned my claw for a moment before gazing away. I was trying to find a way to talk to her.

"Hopper..." her voice broke in, softly. "I've watched you and your brother grow. I can tell if something is wrong. You can tell me.... Anything."

Oh, what was I to say to the only real mother in our lives? I never had anyone else say that to me. Only from her. I sighed.

"I've been promoted to Soldier. And I know what that means."

"Oh, Hopper! Didn't I say that he would finally see?"

"Pretty big, I know." I tried to sound happy but deeply I wasn't. "... but something has been bothering me."

"You feel it too..."

I furrowed at her. "What? You too...?"

"Change is in the air and it is really sharp this season." she said as she began to preen a little. "Which makes me thankful that my mothering days are over. I can never thank you both enough. I just hope they last another season..." she sadly said as she looked out ahead.

I didn't want her to feel that way, though I knew there was nothing I could do but to maybe... encourage her?

"Come on, you can't talk like that. They will. I'll make sure of that, Flitter."

She sweetly blinked and ruffled up a little at my promise.

"I trust you, Hopper."

My heart wanted to break with hers. Soon I sat next to her.