A Soldier

Hopper's Narrative
That had to be the hardest thing I had ever done. Since our nymph-hood, we have always worked together and yet here we were. It was going to be like this in the long run. One of was going to wind up alone, regardless. Molt could hope all he wanted, but by how everything was going, I was glad it ended the way it did. If I learned anything on this gone to hell trip, it was that I amended those mistakes I made. Right when I got it all back, it was going to be gone again, in a blink of an eye.

As there was no time left, there was no way of stopping the fact that an impending doom was tracking down this colony. There was a lot to do and so little time to do it.

Right when Flik and I had entered that Council Chamber, I was met with the Princess as well as the Queen. That elder, Cornelius stood at the podium beside Dr. Flora, who I also owed my thanks to. The Princess was young, so very young yet she was trying so hard to be queen in her mother's place. I, in a way, understood what that stress was like. I allowed Flik before me as we heard the walls grumble angrily from the hill's mouth being filled in. Again. The dry air already felt tight and as much as my damned instinct couldn't handle it, I cut straight to the point. Nonetheless, when I saw the tired Queen holding a tiny pupa in her arms, I had to try not to be any more threatening than I already was. Gladly, a nurse took the young one just as I entered. I had to get straight to the point.

"Your Highness," I began, not caring that my might may have been too shocking to the rest. "... this colony is in grave danger, as of this moment. They're coming. I can tell. I've seen a terrible sign across the river. The reason why we found the bird there, hurt and alone."

The Queen leaned forward, concerned that I was still somewhat out of breath and my wings kept twitching. It wasn't just the claustrophobia bothering me, but it was obvious to all of them that we had to act now. "What was it did you find, Captain?" she asked, in a surprisingly determined voice, likened to mine.

"A dead hummingbird, with a wound the size of my head... that I recognize from a previous attack that was similar. They are controlling the banks on the other side of the river, but they're trying to trick us into thinking that they're not there. But they are. I am certain of it."

"On this account," the Queen spoke up before Atta could. "... the same truth was spoken by my daughter, and I assume the both of you have seen the same horrible thing across the river. My absence may have come at such a terrible time, Captain. I trust you and speak on behalf of my council, or what is left of it...." the old Queen slowly stood up.

She came right up to me and some part of me just let her do so, even though many seldom would do such a thing. "We owe you our lives." she thanked me, which had caused me to blink at her with some sort of surprise. "Say what needs to be done, Hopper and I will make sure we all will follow through."

I just stood there for a moment, realizing that it all came down to one thing. That, perhaps, I was a real soldier as Emerald thought. I protected this colony, I helped heal my brother's pain even though it was I who caused it in the first place. This was something no grasshopper would ever do. I had to stop with the stupid mentality that I didn't deserve any of this ... praise. I shook all that off and decided to get right to it. It was now or never.

"You need to get off this Island. I mean, all of you. By dawn." I stated.

"Get off the island?" Atta spoke up, dreading at this point. "You do know how dangerous that is...? To go out at night, crossing the river..."

"But you don't cross over the river, rather... you need to cross beneath it. The hornets will not know. And they will not see you. I speak of the aquifers. There's a way. Find it."